Murray transmission problems

Old 08-30-06, 06:13 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Murray transmission problems

I have a 18 hp murray with a hydrostatic transmission. While mowing it quit going into reverse. When I pushed the pedal down it made a grinding noise. Later it wouldn't go into forward and started smoking (the belt I think) Later I restarted the mower and it worked ok. I didnt try it for very long for fear of doing additional damage. The belt is not broken. Help

Old 08-30-06, 09:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Pretty good chance one of the clutch idler/tensioner pullies went bad. You'll have to check them out to see which is bad.

Old 08-31-06, 04:23 AM
O
Thank you, I'll check that out

Old 09-10-06, 04:59 PM
O
I checked the belt and the tensioners and everything looked ok. So I get on the mower and start mowing, but it seems like its slower. I have a hilly yard, and its creeping up hill. Then after about 20 minutes, it wouldn't go into reverse. I didn't give it a chance to not go into forward, so I cut it off. Could the transmission be overheating? Can you change the fluid? What weight fluid? Would low fluid cause this?

Old 09-11-06, 03:10 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Overheating can cause the trouble you have. Is the tranny covered with grass debris? Low oil, too, will cause the symptoms you have. However, most hydro tranny's are not at all servicable but post back with your chassis' ID numbers and we can do a lookup of the tranny you have and let you know if it is servicable or not.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: