Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

ryobi string trimmer starter rope broke

08-31-06, 11:29 AM   #1  
ryobi string trimmer starter rope broke

I have a 725r ryobi string trimmer that has a broken pull cord
and I can not figure out how to get the clutch drum assembly
off. Can anyone tell me how to accomplish this task?

Sponsored Links

AL

08-31-06, 09:37 PM   #2  
After you take the starter cover lose from the clutch cover and shaft the first thing you'll see will be the clutch drum with a spring on it.Make sure NOT to loose this spring.But the part of the drum (where the drive shaft goes) has a torx headed bolt that has to come out.This is screwed into the crankshaft...so take the spark plug out and insert 1/2" rubber tubeing into the hole to stop the piston from moving.After this comes off unscrew the clutch CCW.Then the recoil cover is ready to come off.

Last edited by DIYaddict; 09-01-06 at 06:09 AM. Reason: removed quote as it's unnecessary to quote the entire post that's directly above yours

TX

09-01-06, 05:08 PM   #3  
I use starter a piece of starter rope, to put down the spark plug hole to hold the crankshaft.

Jerry

AL

09-01-06, 05:53 PM   #4  
I use starter a piece of starter rope, to put down the spark plug hole to hold the crankshaft.

I thought that was a good idea too,In fact I used pull rope to stop the piston and crank from moving for years myself.Until one day a piece of rope got hung between the piston and cylinder.Ever since then I have been useing plastic fuel line,about 7/16" OD that is big enough it wont get hung and it still wont scratch the piston/ctlinder wall.

Just a bit of (maybe)??? useful advice

TX

09-03-06, 07:15 AM   #5  
Thanks repairguy,I never thought about that,I'll try that next time.

Jerry

09-09-06, 08:32 PM   #6  
solved one problem now I have another bigger one.

Thanks for the helpful tips.I tried the rubber hose and could not get it to hold,so I tried the cord and was succesful in gettin it apart. I replaced the starter cord and fired it up. It ran great for a few minutes and the the engine locked up.I guess I will have to take it apart and see what happen.
Thanks again for the help.

Search this Thread