John Deere Model Js63c Has A Low Idle

Old 09-03-06, 08:40 PM
Question John Deere Model Js63c Has A Low Idle

We have a John Deere Model JS63C Walk Behind Self Propelled Mower with a 6.5 HP Briggs and Stratton engine. The other day it stopped running while cutting grass. When the crank is pulled the engine runs at low idle for a few seconds then it quits running. This happens every time the crank is pulled. What is causing this, and how can it be corrected?

Thank you again for your time, consideration, and cooperation. I hope to hear from you soon,

David

Last edited by dsawi52695; 09-04-06 at 08:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-06, 12:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
What engine is on it?

Old 09-04-06, 08:58 AM
Post John Deere Model Js63c Has A Low Idle

Originally Posted by cheese
What engine is on it?
It has a 6.5 HP Briggs and Stratton engine.

Thank you again for your time, consideration, and cooperation. I hope to hear from you soon,

David

Old 09-04-06, 09:21 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
http://www.briggsandstratton.com/display/router.asp?docid=74604

Use the above url to find out how to locate your engine model # Type and code. This info is needed to correctly identify your engine and specific diagnosis.

Old 09-04-06, 06:46 PM
Post John Deere Model Js63c Has A Low Idle

It has a Briggs and Stratton 6.5 HP Intek Engine. Here are the numbers that we found:

121602 0269 E1 000925 FA

David

Old 09-04-06, 09:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
My guess is that this problem occurred during mowing in/around/under bushes or other obstacles. Look above the carburetor, just behind the top of the air filter cover. There should be a metal tab with a hole in it that the governor tension spring connects to. This probably got bent back toward the engine a bit and needs to be bent back out towards the front of the engine.

Old 09-12-06, 06:07 PM
Question John Deere Model Js63c Has A Low Idle

Originally Posted by cheese
My guess is that this problem occurred during mowing in/around/under bushes or other obstacles. Look above the carburetor, just behind the top of the air filter cover. There should be a metal tab with a hole in it that the governor tension spring connects to. This probably got bent back toward the engine a bit and needs to be bent back out towards the front of the engine.
Yes, that was when it happened. We tried the above suggestion, but it did not correct the problem. Do you have any other suggestions that we could try?

Thank you for your time, consideration, and cooperation. I hope to hear from you soon,

David

Old 09-12-06, 09:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Take a look at the actual throttle on the carburetor. See if you can rev the engine by manually moving it. You'll probably have to remove a shield or cover to gain access to it.

Old 06-05-08, 07:48 AM
I found this thread a little late, but I decided to resurrect it. I picked up a similar mower, a JS63C also, with the same engine model and type, 121602-0269. It does the same thing described here. I have already found the tab bent on the throttle plate and I have straightened it out. But, the throttle control does not move to freely on the throttle plate even after straightening the tab. I have to manual move it. I haven't yet tried to moved the throttle on the carb yet. But, should the throttle control tab on the throttle plate moved freely. With this one so stiff, I don't see how the spring will ever move it.

Old 06-06-08, 12:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, it should move with ease. Sounds like the carb may be gummed up a little and causing the throttle shaft to be stiff.