Fuel filters...

Old 09-05-06, 03:10 PM
Angry Fuel filters...

I recently installed a B&S fuel filter on my Tecumseh-powered push mower, and I've been having fuel-starvation-like problems. I've tried tearing down the carb and cleaning it, with no good results.

Is it good or bad to install a fuel filter on a gravity-fed engine that did not originally have a filter? Ought I be looking elsewhere?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-06, 03:32 PM
fuel filter

What was the part number of the filter? Briggs has filters for gravity-fed engines.

AJ

Old 09-05-06, 06:47 PM
If you used a gravity feed filter, Try it with the fuel cap loose. Most Tecumseh fuel tanks have a strainer inside of them, so make sure you have a good flow out of the tank. You now have 2 fuel filters & gravity may not be enough??

Old 09-06-06, 08:42 AM
I no longer have the box, so I don't the part number. I can probably find it tonight at the hardware store.

It's the same filter that's on my rider mower, and that doesn't seem to have any starvation issues...plenty of OTHER issues, but not that.

Old 09-06-06, 08:45 AM
If there's a strainer in the tank, it's not doing a good job. I was always finding bits of stuff in the float bowl which, admittedly, may still be plugging something up in the carb. I cleaned and blew out everything, but that doesn't always work.

Old 09-06-06, 07:09 PM
Sounds like it's time to wash out the fuel tank. Also have a close look @ the inside of the gas can you use.The strainer & filter may be partially blocked causing the restriction.

Old 09-07-06, 03:04 AM
You could have ten filters in a row and you will still have fuel flow sufficient enough to run this engine...They require very little flow as they are very fuel efficient. Do a complete fuel system service.