B&S 4hp blowing oil out carb

Old 09-09-06, 02:16 PM
B&S 4hp blowing oil out carb

I was given a Yardman 21" Bagger/Mulcher, B&S 4hp, Type 10A902, Type 2180 B3, Code 99102655, it was very dirty, after a good power washing it looked like new, however looks are decieving, first I noticed the blade was on upside down and backwards, then the spring to the governor was attached so it would run at full throttle+, the air filter sponge was very oily and dirty and there was no oil in the crankcase. So I put in some oil, put in some gas, gave it a squirt of starter fluid and it started on the second pull. It ran great(wide open) for about a minute then it started smoking(white) and then blowing oil out of the carb all over the place. I shut it down, when I removed the dipstick smoke was coming from the crankcase. No fuel in the oil, no smell of fuel just oil. I'm guessing that the owner was having problems getting it to cut so decided to run it faster and in doing so ruined the engine(busted piston,rings, etc.). Any ideas or suggestions before I send it on its way to the junkyard. Thanks and have a nice day. Geo

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-06, 05:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
When you said it ran wide open, do you mean over revving? If so, it probably created more crankcase pressure then the breather could handle. Slow it down to around 3000/33000 rpm and see how it does.

Old 09-09-06, 06:49 PM
Cheese;
It was definitely over reving. I didn't mention in my original post that it was smoking from the dipstick hole when I checked the oil. I was trying to move the throttle and govenor to slow it down when it started smoking and spitting, I got quite a lube job out of the deal, of course I had to have on a white tee shirt. Have a nice day. Geo