Troy-Bilt mower, 6.5 Briggs, starts, but won't stay running ???

Old 09-10-06, 10:35 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Troy-Bilt mower, 6.5 Briggs, starts, but won't stay running ???

I have a 3 year old T-B Tru Cut 100, it starts when primed or sprayed but won't stay running on its own. The first outing this spring my wife put some bad gas in it and it obviuosly wouldn't start, I drained the tank, made sure the line was clean, pulled the carb off, cleaned the float bowl, made sure the needle and seat were clean and unblocked, changed the oil, air cleaner and plug. It started right up and has been running good all season til now!!!!
My son , a responsible 32 year old, borrowed it, because his was down with a broken cable, said it stalled once while he was mowing, seemed hard to start he said, but he was able to finish his grass, small area BTW, approx. 30 x 40 ft. I got it to my house it took a couple of pulls to get started and seemed to want to shut off. I started to cut went about 50' and it died, took about 8-9 pulls to get it restarted, let it run free over the sidewalk for a minute or so, proceeded to cut again and the same thing happened. Now it only runs when primed or sprayed, will stay running if you keep priming, but dies when you stop.
Drained the tank, cleaned the line, etc. as before. Had it apart 5 times since yesterday, same thing, will only run when primed,etc.
Any ideas that I may have missed???

Thanks Don

Old 09-10-06, 11:32 AM
G
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
Did you notice the little holes in the nut that held on the bowl, make sure they are clean. Sounds like your main jet is stopped up. Have a nice day. Geo

Old 09-10-06, 12:26 PM
D
Originally Posted by geogrubb
Did you notice the little holes in the nut that held on the bowl, make sure they are clean. Sounds like your main jet is stopped up. Have a nice day. Geo

Thanks for the reply
I blew thru it the old fashion way and then with compressed air, did the bowl vents too, etc.Tried running with the gas tank cap loose and off, even, still no luck. The carb to manifold uses an o-ring instead of a gasket setup, It's the original thought maybe its past its usefulness and is sucking air, kind of doubt it though.

Old 09-10-06, 01:00 PM
G
OK how about this, get something to catch the fuel and remove the fuel line from the carb, did we get a nice fuel flow, reattach the fuel line, remove the bowl to see if fuel is flowing into the bowl, did you get a nice fuel flow, if all the above is true the carb main jet is still stopped up. I had a Tec TVXL840 that had a small piece of grass in the main jet when I used carb cleaner spray to clean the jet it only moved out of sight and would work its way back to clogging in a little while it about drove me nuts. Have a nice day. Geo

Old 09-10-06, 01:49 PM
D
Yes. Drained the tank, fresh gas, good flow. Hole in bowl nut is clear. I even put the float and needle in without the bowl on and checked if the float and needle was shutting off the gas flow and it worked properly.

Old 09-13-06, 03:17 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Soak in a bath cleaner (I like Napa # 6402) and recondition with the proper OE carburetor kit and any necessary mounting gasket(s), if needed.

Old 09-13-06, 08:55 AM
G
puey;
I just bought a gallon of 6402 from my local NAPA dealer it was $42.00, unreal. When I use it up I think I will try the Gunk brand I think it is about $12.00, Berryman just stinks too bad. Have a nice day. Geo

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: