Primer bulbs are melting

Old 09-15-06, 07:18 PM
Thumbs down Primer bulbs are melting

Been having trouble with primers melting down in recent past. chainsaws, weedeaters, mowers. Just replaced a bulb on a murry mower then had trouble starting after 3 weeks and found the new primer turning to goo. Pulled the carb and was kinda disgusted with the quality so I chucked the lot. Dumpster to dumpster. I can't complain as I stuck the thing in my trunk from the side of the road 2 years ago, gassed and go.
Is there a grade of quality in these things(bulbs that is, I would not buy the Murry/huffy stuff) also have had the same problem with gas lines dissolving and crumbling.

Any thoughts greatly appeciated, Rob

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-06, 07:29 PM
nap
Are you using gas with 10% methanol (I think, that or ethanol).

Alcohol interacts poorly with some rubbers.

Old 09-15-06, 07:48 PM
Angry Bad bulb! alcohol, don't believe so

hi nap

Thanks for the quick reply. I questioned that as well.This is the station been using for years. I never noticed a notice of any % eth. But I will stay diligent when fueling, good point.
If this bulb disolution thing was a common problem you guys would hear about it.

This might be a simple as** ?, but, does grade of fuel make any difference to longevity in the vulnerable components these days??Rob

Old 09-15-06, 08:31 PM
nap
In the 2 states i work in (live on the border) I believe it is law that it is posted on the pump in both states.

as far as grade of fuel; can't see that making much if any difference but maybe others can shed some light on your situation.

Old 09-16-06, 01:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Odd. I rarely see this problem, and usually it is due to age. Are you adding stabilizer to the gas?

Old 09-16-06, 06:29 PM
Angry stabilizer

"Odd. I rarely see this problem, and usually it is due to age. Are you adding stabilizer to the gas?"

No, sure not. Maybe I'm just not having much luck with these rubber components. i don't recall a problem like this in the past. I cannot get through more then a few years without rubber breaking down. Maybe a heat related thing here in Florida. Oh well

rob

Old 01-22-09, 06:46 AM
Angry Primer bulbs-the weakest link

There goes another one!!!! What the ****. Every single small engine I have with primer bulbs have now crapped out. Is there no better way to prime an engine then a stupid little rubber appendage that is going to self destruct? Is this blatant planned obsolescence?. We produce enough trash without having to throw out our lawn mowers as well? Ethanol is in most gas right? Is that the problem?
How many perfectly good units must be thrown every day for this engineering marvel? Is it too much to ask that my equipment last for more than three years?? I would love to see these small engine companies install these stupid things in their corporate jets
Is this just me and my equipment?? I put few hours on any equipment and store and don't abuse what I have.
Feedback?

Old 01-22-09, 07:13 AM
I have never seen a primer bulb melt from fuel. I have seen them deteriorate from age but never melt. Are the primer bulbs that melt old or new? This seems to be a problem unique to your equipment. I think you need to look at the storage environment and any other factors that may be causing your problem.

The pumps at service stations will be marked if ethanol is added to the gasoline.

There are problems associated with ethanol but as far as I know they are minimal when used in engines approved for there use. Damage to rubber components is a problem in some engines and ethanolís ability to absorb water can be an issue when storing engines with fuel in the systems.

Most small engines are approved for ethanol blended fuels.

Old 01-22-09, 07:33 AM
This has to be something being caused by you. We have been using E-10 here since Jan.1 08. I saw on the news last night that Minn. has been using E-10 for 10 years now. E-10 is not the problem. I am thinking more of what you may be adding to the gas. What are you using for oil? Are you adding any octane booster or any other additives? Are you using dry-gas of any kind? Cheap dry gas, cheap oil, octane boosters, gas additives can and will eat rubber parts.

Old 01-22-09, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator
Heres a question...where are they being stored, and what else is in the area.

I found that after a few years at my old house the rubber caps on my hinge pin door stops had turned into a substance like melted marshmallows. I don't know exactly what it was, but even new rubber caps did the same thing after a few more years. Fumes from latex paint, solvents, new carpet, hairspray even? No clue, but it had to be something airborne.

I'd be checking into that, esp since it seems like you say its happening with diff brands.

Old 01-27-09, 11:17 AM
Talking this is a strange subject lol

I WAS READING THIS AND I WAS WONDERING IF THIS GUY HAS A EXHAUST LEAK SOME WHERE THAT IS MAKING THESE PRIMER BULBS AND FUEL LINES DRY OUT AND THEN WHEN HE PUTS GAS IN IT THE GAS EATS THE RUBBER MAKING THEM MELT I DON'T KNOW I HAVE RARELY SEEN THIS HAPPEN AS WELL AND I BEEN WORKING ON SMALL ENGINES FOR 10 YEARS, BUT LIKE OTHERS SAY IT HAS BEEN DUE TO OLD AGE. I HIGHLY DOUBT IT IS GAS THAT IS STARTING THE WHOLE PROBLEM. ARE YOU BUYING THE CORRECT "FUEL LINE" AND ARE YOU BUYING OEM PARTS OR AFTERMARKET? HAVE YOU CHECKED YOUR EXHAUST? ONE OTHER QUESTION HAVE YOU EVER HAD ANYTHING OTHER THAN GAS IN YOUR GAS CAN BEFORE?

Old 01-27-09, 11:50 AM
stupid primer bulbs

Hey guys and gals?
Sorry I thought I would get email notice so have not checked back.
OK, some of my equipment has been around the clock a few times. Can I help it I'm frugal and don"t like throwing away machines i can keep running.
The lawn mower is 6 years?? give or take 1 and thats the latest victim. The other stuff is admittedly older. Fumes are not a problem. This one cracked at its base and looks to be a ***** to replace. Are they all replacable? I don't see a retain ring or equal. Its craftsman.
stored in a well ventilated screen room most of the time. The other stuff has been stored in an 8x10 alum. shed with all kinds of sealed paints solvents glues and stuff that I need to do stuff.
I guess that if no one else is having this problem I am simply cursed and need to move onBeer 4U2Beer 4U2Beer 4U2

Old 01-27-09, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator
Well, chumiser...you are in FL...gotta be some Voodoo women down there that can work on that curse...lol

Old 01-27-09, 02:02 PM
Chumiser, the primer bulb is replacable on your Craftsman. Most Craftsman push mowers had a Tecumseh engine on them.
To replace the primer, you just pry it out with a screwdriver.
There is a serated "lock ring" that holds it in place. To install a new one, use a socket that is the size of the casting of the primer and drive it in.

Old 01-27-09, 08:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd say if the stuff is 6 years and older, then bad primers and fuel lines is to be expected. I had the impression you were having failures within a few years of purchase. Having old equipment coupled with the fact that it's stored in a metal building in Florida (heat probably over 130 degrees in that building at times)....I'd say you have nothing out of the ordinary going on.

Old 01-28-09, 07:46 AM
bulb extracted

Thanks guys. Fair enough, heat and gas don't help rubber.
Gunguy-Brilliant!! I can round up a bunch of them(the women), they can bring over their sacrificial goats and put em to some real use munching my lawn!
Thanks to all

Old 01-31-09, 05:31 AM
ethanol

I read (doo ta doo)the label on the local gas pumps, all ethanol added.