Pressure Washer Replacement Pumps

Old 09-16-06, 01:03 PM
Pressure Washer Replacement Pumps

Hello DIYers,

First, I'd like to say that after poking around and doing some searching on this forum, it looks like a great group of helpful and friendly folks here. I hope I may be able to contribute to the "database" of DIY knowledge on occasion as well. Now on to my "issue"...

I have a 2 year old Troy-Built Pressure Washer MN# 020208 (2.5GPM 2500PSI with a Honda GC160 5.0 HP engine) that just recently cracked the casing around the water pump (casing that attaches to the engine and holds the pump oil. I need a new casing or new pump. My local authorized service center says I have to replace the entire pump which costs $230+. A new similar unit can be had for about $150 more. But, I seem to have a couple of options beside buying a brand new unit.

1) Find anyone that might have the same pump and willing to give/sell part of it. Possibly off a pump thats broke for another reason. I can send a picture of what I'm looking for. Unless I can find one, I'm off to the second option.

2) Buy a third party replacement pump. I've found a couple of decent options below:

a) Annovi Reverbari (AR) SJV 3G27-1 described as a Troy-Bilt replacement pump. $178

b) Giant GXH2525-11H $178

Can anyone provide any advice, comments, recommendations on a good reasonably priced replacement pump or on the two manufacturers I've already identified? I
ve also read that "Cat" pumps are supposedly top-of-the line and the prices I'm seeing reflect that "reputation" deserved or not.

Thanks in advance!

Jimme

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-06, 01:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Cat is good. I've had great results with the Annovi Reverbari pumps too. The one you listed would probably be the way to go if it is a direct replacement.

Old 09-17-06, 08:23 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
I have known/seen Giant pumps in several types of industrial applications for many years and believe them to also have a good reputation.

Old 09-17-06, 09:27 AM
Cheese/Azis,

Folks, thanks for the comments! It's always nice to get some opinions before slapping down some cash on an unkown item.

I'm leaning towards the AR unit just for the reason that it's described as a Troy-Bilt replacement.

But before I commit, I'll wait and see if any others opine or offer up an old pump I can cannibalize.

Thanks!

Jimme

Old 09-25-06, 11:10 AM
My AR SJV 3G27 (Annovi Reverberi Troy-Bilt Replacement pump) just arrived. There was no manufacturer instructions or manual provided. I did find a manual on the AR web site, though.

Everything I need to install it on my old pressure washer is straight forward, except adjusting the outgoing water pressure which requires, according to the manual, a liquid filled pressure gauge. I don't have one of these handy nor do I know where to find one and how best to hook it up.

The new AR pump is actually rated for up to 2700PSI and 3GPM with a Max engine of 7.5HP On my troy-bilt, I have a 5 HP engine that produced 2500PSI 2GPM with the original pump.

Question: Should I just slap it on and go with the default factory setting, find a pressure guage and adjust it or take it to a qualified servicer to adjust?

The later two options will no doubtly cost me even more cash...not something I anticpated. Thoughts, comments, opinions, suggestions here?

Thanks!

Jimme

Old 11-04-06, 10:43 AM
DIYers,

I just wanted to close out this thread with my results.

1) The AR repalacement pump is works just fine with the Honda engine on my Troy-Bilt.

2) I had to order 2 additional adaptors to connect the water supply and the pressure wand hose. I ordered them as well as the AR pump from www.pwmall.com.

Adaptors from pwmall.com:
a) 140052 - 3/4 FGH x 1/2 FPT (S-1) Garden
Hose Swivel fitting
b) TCP2FB - 3/8FPT X 22mm Twist Couple Plug

3) I also answered my own question regarding pressure gages. www.pwmall.com sells Pressure gages. So, if you decide you want or need a pressure gage to adjust your pump, you can find a liquid filled one there. I didn't bother ordering one so I can't offer a part or product suggestion here. But, I'm sure their tech support can find you the right one for your unit.

4) The only problem I noticed by just slapping the AR pump onto my Honda engine and running it with the factory settings is that I have to start the engine before I turn on the water supply. It seems the water pressure created by trying to start the engine puts to much strain on the engine and makes it difficult to turn over and start. I suspect if I adjusted the pressure and the unloader, this problem would go away. But, I've not had time to try and adjust it and probably really need a pressure guage to adjust it right anyway.

If you made it this far, I hope you found this info useful. Best of luck to any of you considering replacing your Troy-Bilt Pressure Washer water pumps.

Jimme

Old 11-04-06, 01:23 PM
No water bad

Jimme

You should not run the pump dry it will destroy it the water is the lubrication for the pump. You should pull the trigger on the wand when you start the engine to unload the pump.

AJ

Old 11-05-06, 08:58 AM
AJ,

Good point...

I have the water hooked up and ready to turn on as soon as it starts. So, it doesn't run but a few seconds "dry". But, I like your suggested work around better. :-)

Thanks!

Jimme

Old 11-06-06, 01:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks for the update Jimmie! Glad you got it going your way!