rebuilt carb still wont run long

Old 09-16-06, 03:53 PM
Unhappy rebuilt carb still wont run long

i rebuilt the carb on my trimmer and that stoped the fuel leak but it still only runs for 10 seconds when i get it started then stops any help would be great.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-06, 01:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did you soak the carb in carb cleaner?

Old 09-17-06, 10:32 PM
yes

i sure did should i do it again and see what happens. also got some over spray on the primer bulb need to replace it now to.

Old 09-18-06, 02:47 AM
If you used a spray cleaner and just emptied the can out in the can cap and then dipped the carburetor in it, this may not be enough. You need a genuine bath carburetor cleaner. However, this may have been good enough and you have a problem with the inlet screen being plugged. Did you replace such screen? It's on the fuel pump side and is opposite the inlet needle.

Old 09-18-06, 09:07 PM
I did replace the screen the only thing i did not replace were 2 silver caps not sure what they were. kind of look like freeze plugs in a engine block. should i replace those if so do they just pop out or are they sealed. also i did not do the bath. just took the carb completely apart (besides the 2 caps) and soaked in regular carb spray.

Old 09-19-06, 03:19 AM
The "plugs" are called welch plugs and usually don't need to be removed and I don't recommend doing so if you've never done so. You can easily irrepairably damage the carburetor. Depending on the extent of varnish build-up in the carb you may need to buy a good bath type cleaner in order to cut through the varnish as spray cleaner is only good enough for scale and flaky crust type build-up, not heavy, green, smelly build-up.

Old 09-19-06, 01:30 PM
I had a similar problem with a swisher once. The problem was caused by a small rubber o ring in the carb bowl where the gas came into the bowl. It was somewhat swollen and the needle would not come far enough off of the o ring to let gas in fast enough. The mower would ran until it drained the carb bowl then I would have to wait 30 seconds or so, start it again and itwould run for about 10 - 15 seconds and over and over. I had to buy a carb kit, is what they called it, for it which was basically the bowl and all the needles for it. I dont know what your trimmer carb looks like or if it has a bowl but it was atleast worth a response. Good luck

Search this Thread