Craftsman 917.272680 Transmission Problem

Old 09-16-06, 07:58 PM
Post Craftsman 917.272680 Transmission Problem

I had a flat tire, which I tried fixing with some fix-a-flat. In order to distribute it thruout the tire, I disengaged the transmission by putting the freewheel control in freewheeling position, and spun the tire repeatedly. After that didn't work, I put a tube in the tire, and put it back on the tractor. When I went to pull out of my garage, the tractor wouldn't move. I remember I still had the freewheel control in freewheeling, and took it out of freewheeling to engage the transmission. Still no movement. I dropped the mower, so I could access under the tractor better. The drive belt is fine. When I move the motion control lever, there is a round "thing" on the side of the transmission that responds to both dirrection & different speeds. Every indication is that the freewheel control is still in freewheeling mode, even though I changed the position. Of course the warranty has expired. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I apologize for the length of this post, but I wanted to get as many details in as I could.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-06, 01:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Chances are the key fell out of the rim somewhere between taking it off, fixing it, and putting it back on. If so, the axle is just spinning in the rim.

Old 09-17-06, 08:51 AM
Talking Thank you

Thank you very much. That's exactly what it was. The instruction manual picture didn't mention the key at all.

Old 09-18-06, 07:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad we could help!