Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

craftsman riding mower smoking

09-17-06, 06:54 AM   #1  
craftsman riding mower smoking

Hi. I have a Craftsman riding mower model 917270650 that I recently bought from someone. It ran fine and cut fine for 2 or 3 times and then when I went to try to start it I saw it spewing some liquid either gas or oil out of the bottom front of the engine. A couple days later after I put a little more gas in it no longer spewed fluid and started up. As soon as I backed it up out of the garage and increased the throttle to cutting range and engaged the blade it started to cut for a few seconds and just quit on me and started spewing out white smoke from the front. It started back up again right away but then as soon as it starts it spews smoke still although its running seemingly fine. Obviously I dont leave it running but im wondering if that could just be a gasket on the engine casuing that or rings or something?? Also how would I get to that part of the engine to fix it short of taking the entire engine out and would it be worth fixing it? Thanks

Sponsored Links

09-17-06, 11:05 AM   #2  
First of all, don't run it more until you've determined what is "spewing" out. If it's oil, you'll ruin the engine in short order if it runs low. What brand & model of engine is it and how many HP?

09-17-06, 02:02 PM   #3  
craftsman mower smoking

its a Briggs & Stratton 15.5hp ohv intercooled. Its actually no longer spewing any liquid just white smoke now. Oil is still at full level and fuel is still in the tank.

09-18-06, 03:15 AM   #4  
Strange. It's possible that whatever came out spilled on the muffler and is now causing the white smoke, which should clear up after the muffler heats up enough. As long as the oil level is ok it should be safe to use it.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-18-06, 07:16 PM   #5  
I bet if you smell the oil, it smells like gas. If so, you need to clean the carb and replace the inlet needle, and change the oil. Don't run it like this.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread