17 HP Kawasaki No charge

Old 09-19-06, 02:36 PM
17 HP Kawasaki No charge

Im trying to figure out how to check the stator output on a 17 HP Kawasaki model fc540v kso3 engine. I have 13.5 volts ac out of each of the black stator wires at full speed. I have replaced the voltage regulator and still no charge. The fuses are good and the regulator has battery voltage. All the grounds seems good. How would you check out a stator?
Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-06, 03:11 AM
I don't have Kawasaki service manuals but it appears you have already checked the stator output as you indicated you have 13.5V AC. The stator puts out alternating current (AC) and the regulator converts it to direct current (DC). As far as I'm concerned, 13.5 is sufficient and since you have replaced the regulator, I'd say you have either a dead battery (one or more cells) or corroded wires leading to the battery. Have the battery load tested and tested for specific gravity to determine if it is the battery to blame or otherwise.

Old 09-20-06, 04:22 AM
I finally gave up trying to keep the charging diodes and regulatorsin small engines working .I finally went to a using a automatic floating charger and just plug in the mower after each use. In most cases you can get a good charger for the same price as one of those diode regulators and can use it on your car, boat and mower if need be. I have found by keeping the battery on a auto charger that the battery life is extended several years here in hot Florida where before they rarely lasted more then 24 months.
Larry

Old 09-20-06, 06:01 AM
The trouble with that, Mason, is that if the unit has an electric clutch and an electric fuel solenoid, you need constant voltage (minimum of 12V) and without a charging system the battery will be sucked down quicker than you can finish your task.

Old 09-20-06, 12:41 PM
The battery is up to par and when i charge it with a charger it last a couple of weeks. The regulator I tried was a used one that was suppose to be good. I would buy a new one if I knew that was the problem.
Mike

Old 09-20-06, 02:47 PM
You'll then need to test the output of the regulator at VDC. First, you'll need to know what the factory spec is on this and to be read at what engine RPM. For such specs you'll need to contact the equipment manufacturer. What machinery is this engine on?

Old 09-20-06, 04:49 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Bisyfxn
The fuses are good and the regulator has battery voltage.
Thanks
Mike
If you measured the battery terminals of the regulator and got battery voltage, it sounds as though the regulator is bad. If when running at full throttle you do not read above battery voltage and you have 13.5 in from the stator, the regulator is prolly bad. Battery voltage is measured with the engine off and the key switch off.

Old 09-21-06, 07:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Correct, if you have 13.5 VAC on both stator output wires, and when they are connected to the regulator you have less than 13 volts at full engine rpm, then your regulator is bad or the battery is shorted as Puey mentioned (which you indicated doesn't seem to be the case).

Old 09-22-06, 05:23 AM
Thanks for all the help. Im going to pick up another regulator and try it out.
Mike

Old 09-28-06, 05:03 AM
Does anyone know just how much AC voltage should be on the two wires coming out of the stator?

Old 09-28-06, 06:08 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
I am pretty sure AC from the stator should be about double or better than the DC you want out of the regulator. 27 to 45 VAC. I do have a Deere service manual I could dig up if you are really only getting 13.5VAC. Measure AC voltage with your meter leads to both stator leads, not one at a time.

Old 09-29-06, 08:16 AM
I'll give that a try and see what the ac voltage is. I cant do it today it's raining cats and dogs here.
Mike