Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Son put oil/gas mixture in our Honda lawnmower!!HELP!!!

09-24-06, 10:35 AM   #1  
Son put oil/gas mixture in our Honda lawnmower!!HELP!!!

Our son decided he was going to help and put the wrong gas can in our Honda HR214. The gas was mixed with oil for the weedeater and the lawnmower has a seperate tank for the oil. I filled it up with clean gas and thought it might dilute it but it will not turn over at all. When you pull the string, it just spins and makes a different sound than normal. What can we do or is that it for the lawnmower?

Sponsored Links

MA

09-24-06, 04:09 PM   #2  
A neighbor did the same thing this summer. The fix for her was to empty the gas tank,refill with good gas,replace spark plug,and change the air filter. Its worth a try.

09-24-06, 08:49 PM   #3  
I wouldn't think it would harm it at all. I ran my 11 hp briggs for about 30 minutes with a 2 stroke mix from my scooters with no problem. drain the carb, fresh gas, and a clean spark plug should take care of any oil/gas mix problem i would think, but i'm no expert.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-24-06, 09:02 PM   #4  
It shouldn't have hurt anything. I imagine if it was tipped to dump the gas/oil mix out, that caused more problem than the gas mix did. I'd remove the air filter and see if it's soaked with oil or gas, and change the spark plug. If it doesn't run after that, you have another problem, most likely un-related.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

09-25-06, 06:06 PM   #5  
Posted By: Amy Newton Our son decided he was going to help and put the wrong gas can in our Honda HR214. The gas was mixed with oil for the weedeater and the lawnmower has a seperate tank for the oil. I filled it up with clean gas and thought it might dilute it but it will not turn over at all. When you pull the string, it just spins and makes a different sound than normal. What can we do or is that it for the lawnmower?
There's 2 thing that will cause a engine to not start gas and spark, try to change the plug.

Forum Topic Moderator

OH

09-25-06, 06:35 PM   #6  
Most two cycle mix is only about 3oz of oil to 128 oz of gas. No biggie. You should be able to run it in your mower or in your car without problem.

09-25-06, 07:03 PM   #7  
I did a buy a new plug. A more expensive one to see if that might help. I am going to drain the gas tomorrow and see if I can clean the air filter and if the carb needs it that will be next. Thank you for your replies, I will let everyone know. I think I have a washer to be fixed next and am quite a handy woman so that might be next. Keeps overflowing, if you have any suggestions, would be good to get both working.

Thank you my lads,
Amy

NY

09-26-06, 03:03 AM   #8  
What is overflowing?

09-26-06, 07:31 AM   #9  
The washer keeps overflowing. It doesn't regulate when it is full so the water keeps overflowing and I have to manually turn the knob to the next cycle.

09-26-06, 09:44 AM   #10  
Posted By: Amy Newton The washer keeps overflowing. It doesn't regulate when it is full so the water keeps overflowing and I have to manually turn the knob to the next cycle.
Sound like the washer machine timer is going bad

Forum Topic Moderator

OH

09-26-06, 10:22 AM   #11  
Wrong forum for this question, but if the washer fills by time, sounds like the timer. If it fills by volume, the float switch and/or solenoid could be sticking or bad.

VA

09-26-06, 10:41 AM   #12  
Back to the honda mower thread...

The carburetor is generally right behind the air filter- you may need to remove some plastic enclosure to get at it. When you're there, you'll see a very obvious hose that runs from the gas tank to the carb, and an equally obvious disconnect for it. Drain the gas tank that way.

The carburetor also has a float bowl- mine is a gold tone color, but yours may be different. Remove the screw from the bottom of the bowl, which will remove the lower half of the bowl and let you drain more gas out of the carb.

Good luck with it all!

VA

09-26-06, 10:46 AM   #13  
Forgot to mention

Your engine may have a paper air filter (as opposed to a sponge), and these don't clean too well. You can take a shop vac after it, but better to replace it if it's really dirty.

I've had good luck with this company for small engine parts, in case you can't find a filter close by to you:
http://www.jackssmallengines.com/

VA

09-26-06, 10:54 AM   #14  
Glad that YOU are handy...

Posted By: Amy Newton ...and am quite a handy woman
But for all this grief, shouldn't your son do this?!?!?

Half kidding, half not- good luck!

09-26-06, 11:35 AM   #15  
Thank you for all your replies. We drained the gas, replaced the air filter and bought a new spark plug. It is working now!! I agree that my son should be doing this, but his is only nine. He is working it out by chores for messing with it in the first place.

Search this Thread