Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman/Honda lawnmower: stuttering

VA

09-27-06, 12:06 PM   #1  
Craftsman/Honda lawnmower: stuttering

I have a Craftsman mower with a honda engine. I've kept up the routine maintenance (air filter, oil, plug) and it has run very well, but recently the engine stutters when the throttle lever is in any but one certain position.

I suspect this is a throttle adjustment problem because I can find a sweet spot on the throttle lever that the engine runs just fine without stuttering. Also, moving the throttle lever has almost no affect on engine speed. Seems like the thing runs at "high", "really high" and "off".

If I have diagnosed this properly as a throttle adjust problem, what is the fix?

Thanks!
Dave O

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

09-27-06, 12:54 PM   #2  
Azis
Craftsman mower with a Honda Engine? Could you provide the model # of the mower?
Its possible it is a throttle issue, even if not with the lever or cable.
Does it have a seperate choke control? Verify movement of the butterfly valve or valves in the carb for smooth movement in correspondance with each control.
Does it run the same with the air filter removed?

Model of mower and engine will better help to diagnose.

VA

09-28-06, 07:21 AM   #3  
Hi, Azis

The Sears number is 917.388801; the engine is Honda model number GCV-160-A1AE. It does not have a separate choke control.

I'll run it without the air filter to see if the problem persists, and verify the movement of the butterflies.

Thanks!

Visiting Guest

09-28-06, 07:44 AM   #4  
Azis
Thx for the #'s that really clears up alot For some reason I was thinking rider mower...

Search this Thread