Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Poulan String trimmer repair

09-30-06, 09:57 PM   #1  
Poulan String trimmer repair

I have a Poulan string trimmer that the pull cord broke. I have dismantled it down to where the drum/brake assembly is exposed. I need to learn how to remove the brake. It has an arrow that indicates a counter clockwise direction for removal. However, the shaft turns as there is no way to keep the piston from movement. Is there a special tool that fits on the brake or technique to remove it? The cord assembly sits right behind it but it is covered by the outer plastic case which is inaccessible due to the brake assembly being screwed on.
Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links

NY

10-01-06, 12:32 PM   #2  
I don't know much about Poulan trimmers, but I think what you are describing as a "drum/brake" assembly is the clutch housing. Where the flexible drive shaft goes, there should be a hex key screw inside that hole. Find the EXACT hex key for the screw.
To stop the engine from turning over, stick a screwdriver through the engine casing into the flywheel.

A model number would be helpful.

NY

10-01-06, 01:18 PM   #3  
I don't recommend the screwdriver trick as you can break the fins off the flywheel. Instead, remove the spark plug and insert a fair amount of the rope you will use to make the repair and this will act as a piston stop.

Search this Thread