Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Chain saw won't stay running

VA

10-02-06, 12:10 PM   #1  
Chain saw won't stay running

I have a Stihl 029 Farm Boss chain saw that will start as usual (two pulls on full choke and then one on partial) but wont keep running. It will run for about three to five seconds and then sputters to a stop.

I have cleaned the air filter and also the screen in the muffler to make sure that it is getting air in and out. Not sure what to check next.

Any thoughts what might be causing this?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Mark

Sponsored Links

10-02-06, 01:28 PM   #2  
I have that same saw and never had any trouble with it. After it pops on full choke and you switch it to half choke it should scream until you knock it into the run postion. It might need some carb and or choke adjustments. I tend to do more harm then good when I play with the carb screws so it might be a good idea to take it back where you bought it from. If you bought it recently they should adjust it for free. One of the benifits of Stihl not being sold at the big box stores.

VA

10-02-06, 01:39 PM   #3  
BuiLDPro68,

Mine does just as yours except it only will "scream" for about three seconds and then just sputters out. Trying to hit the throttle trigger to get off full throttle does not help - still dies.

The saw isn't new, so Stihl will no longer cover me. My gut tells me it isn't just adjustment, but rather, something changed and is no longer working correctly.

Many thanks,

Mark

10-02-06, 01:47 PM   #4  
Huh, and I suppose it will not start with the choke off completely after this? Maybe it is stuck in the half choke mode though I have never seen that happen. Sounds like one of those things where someone will have to look at it. Could be very simple to fix.

VA

10-02-06, 02:44 PM   #5  
I have run it with the air filter off to make sure the choke wasn't the problem. All the movements of the choke switch are as they should be (open - closed and such) when observed without the air filter.

Mark

Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

10-02-06, 05:16 PM   #6  
Hello: Mark

Vapor lock. Try running the engine with the fuel cap loose or totally removed. If engine runs fine and continues to do so, chances are the fuel caps vent hole is restricted and/or plugged.

Solution:
Replace the fuel cap.

Another possibility is restricted fuel flow. Remove fuel line at carb and allow fuel to flow into a safe container in a safe environment.

There may not be a steady and or full volume flow of fuel into the carb. Remove the fuel line hose at the carb and allow fuel to flow out for about 1/2 to 1 minute.

The flow rate and volume must remain constant. If there is any slow down in the rate during this time, remove the fuel tanks cap and note any difference.

If the flow rate continues to remain slow or stops, there is a restriction in the tank, fuel line or the vent hole in the fuel cap is plugged and or restricted. Removal of the cap will allow full flow to return to full flow.

Based on the problem description it appears to be a fuel related problem. Fuel not getting into the carb or flowing to the carb from the fuel tank.

Most likely I haven't covered all of the possibilities. The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may be able to offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your question several times over the next few days for additional replies.

Regards & Good Luck. Sharp Advice.
Vocational Small Engine Tech. Web Site Host, Forums Manager, Monitor, Team Moderator Leader and Multiple Topics Moderator.

Search this Thread