Stihl Chainsaw

Old 10-04-06, 07:56 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Stihl Chainsaw

I am in the process of rebuilding my Stihl chainsaw carb. I am having troubles identifying this Stihl model. The only sticker on the saw is 311Y. Searching for parts for a 311Y is not returning good hits. Is this a real model number? Is there another way to identify this chainsaw model?

Thanks

Old 10-05-06, 06:15 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Should be on a sticker on the visible exterior of the saw such as 011, 024, 045, etc. Or, if newer, such as MS160, MS390, MS660, etc. However, with a carburetor, it isn't necessary to know the saw model. On the carb you will see a model and serial number of the carb itself. Knowing the brand carb (commonly either Walbro, Tillotson or Zama) and the aforementioned numbers, you can go to most saw shops and get the carb manufacturers rebuild kit and not have to worry about the make of saw it's on.

Old 10-05-06, 07:30 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by puey61
Knowing the brand carb (commonly either Walbro, Tillotson or Zama) and the aforementioned numbers, you can go to most saw shops and get the carb manufacturers rebuild kit and not have to worry about the make of saw it's on.
I have not found this to be so with most Stihl and some other brands. Carbs on most Stihl saws I have seen are stamped with the name "Stihl" even tho made by Walbro, are only available to Stihl dealers. Most gaskets from other common kits however are the same. It may require taking the old carb and parts to a shop to match up from another kit if not a Stihl dealer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: