Need some advice on a Briggs engine

Old 10-04-06, 02:17 PM
Need some advice on a Briggs engine

I've got a Briggs horizontal shaft engine...m-100202, t-0145. I've just finished rebuilding it and whenever I crank it up...it squeels very loudly. In the past I've always replaced the starter clutch, when this happens and it would correct the problem. However this time it's a little different. The pull cord gets all tangled up and doesn't want to recoil. The rachet on the starter clutch "seems" to work OK. Is there a sure fire method of telling whether the trouble is in the pull starter or the starter clutch.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-06, 05:39 PM
Try to make sure the end of the crank is clean of rust, than put a small amount of a graphite lube on it. Not a "Never-sieze" tho. Hope this will help. Roger

Old 10-05-06, 03:13 AM
You most likely have burr on the end of the crankshaft where the clutch slips onto. Take a flat file to the end of the crank and camfer such and then use a 180 grit, or so, cloth paper and finish the entire length of the crank, down to the threads, to a nice shiney finish.

Old 10-06-06, 12:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Agreed. Clutch problems. Clean the crank as suggested. The reason it's tangling the rope is because it's trying to turn the rope spool the wrong direction and winding the rope upon itself.

Old 10-06-06, 05:56 AM
Thanks guys for the comments. I took the clutch apart and found some "nitchs" worn in all five of the rachet blades. I've ordered a new clutch.

Old 10-06-06, 02:40 PM
Polish up the crank too!!!