Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Kohler w/Walbro Carb leaking fuel

10-05-06, 01:44 PM   #1  
Kohler w/Walbro Carb leaking fuel

Simplicity, Kohler 14hp CV14S, with Walbro LMK carb

Leaking fuel after shutdown. Bought repair kit, replaced needle valve, float is OK, fuel tank is not pressurizing, blew out fuel lines and carb with compressed air to remove any debris, new fuel filter.

Kohler tech support says to use a valve lapping compound to make sure no pitting has occured in brass seat. Sometimes it works, maybe not and have to buy new carb.

I have tried everything and still problem exists. Am I going to have to buy a new carb? Can valve seat be replaced?

Thanks

Sponsored Links

NY

10-05-06, 02:47 PM   #2  
Be sure the bowl vent is unobstructed. If this is OK and the carburetor does not have a replacable inlet seat then good luck with the grinding compound, I've never had this work favorably. But, it's always worth a try since the only option left is to replace the carb. Post back with the engines' specification number.

10-05-06, 03:17 PM   #3  
Engine spec # is 14107

Where is the bowl vent?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-06-06, 12:01 AM   #4  
I think the vent is under a welch plug and vents to the throat of the carb on this. The vent could be an issue, but not as likely as the seat. I have had success using polishing compound and a Q-tip. I dip the Q-tip in turtle wax polishing compound (in the red container similar to the paste wax in the green tub), put the Q-tip in a drill, and use it to polish the seat area...with light pressure to get the contact area of the seat nice and smooth. Don't do too much (it can distort the shape of the seat with too much polishing). This generally works for me. Valve compound is too abrasive.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NY

10-06-06, 03:08 AM   #5  
Good tip, another one for the upstairs file. Thanks Cheese. However, Bama, my records indicate that this carburetor has a replaceable inlet seat. It's black in color and may be unnoticeable in the cavity. Is the tip of your inlet needle steel or is it a rubber-like material? See if you can dig your fingernail into it -indicating rubber - or not. I believe it should be steel and therefore will have a replaceable seat. The Kohler kit part number is 12 757 03-S. and includes such items.

10-06-06, 03:28 AM   #6  
The needle does have the rubber tip. The valve seat appears to be all brass and the kohler rep said the same thing. Looks like I'm going to be out $100 + for a new carb.

NY

10-06-06, 02:41 PM   #7  
Try Cheese's Q-tip trick first though.

10-07-06, 03:27 AM   #8  
Thanks for the help, I'll give it a try.

Search this Thread