Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Briggs engine problem,runs for awhile then dies?

10-07-06, 08:26 PM   #1  
Briggs engine problem,runs for awhile then dies?

I have a mower with the Briggs 10 hp I/C. It will run great for 15-20 mins and then seems as though it stalls out, the engine starts to surge(governor choking engine?) and then dies. Filter looks as though its only quarter to half full. After 5-10 minutes, engine starts fine, then does it again.
I just rebuilt the carb, flushed the tank and replaced the lines and filter and plug.It runs awesome when its running. Not sure what else to do.
I imagine without a pump it is a vacuum/gravity feed. The bottom of the tank where fuel line runs off is below carb, and when I pulled off the line at the carb there was no flow until I lowered the line,Seems like it is a fuel issue?

Any help or suggestions would help me out alot. Thanks.

Last edited by ripcurl; 10-07-06 at 09:47 PM.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-08-06, 01:24 AM   #2  
Did this mower have a fuel pump at some point in time? Is this the original engine? If the tank is lower than the carb, it needs a fuel pump.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

10-08-06, 06:33 AM   #3  
Mower is a simplicity 3110 rear engine rider, and honestly, I dont know whether it had a fuel pump or not. I checked the cap, it appears to vent well, so that isn't the problem.

Engine numbers are 256707 0110-01 87093011.

There is no fuel pump, obtained a copy of the owner's manual, says engine is 10 hp, makes no mention of pump. Also online manual for engine makes no mention of pump. There are two leads for a ground but they're going somewhere...

Where do I find a pump for this ? I need one today unfortunately...

Thanks again.

10-08-06, 02:33 PM   #4  
I've been looking over this mower and it seems as though it is meant for level surfaces only. The tank has a 90 degree elbow coming off of it to the fuel line. Anytime the mower is pitched opposite of the elbow or the mower motor is angled lower than the fuel tank, then there is an issue with fuel flow. Kind of a crappy design , but nothing a fuel pump wouldn't fix I think.

TX

10-08-06, 06:08 PM   #5  
Fuel Pump

Can you raise the fuel tank? You can mount a pulse type fuel pump Briggs P/N 491922 (metal body) or 808656 (plastic body) fuel pump to use on your engine. You will have to drill an tap a hole somewhere (above oil level) on your crankcase to install a 1/4" nipple for the pulse hose to attach to. Pulse type fuel pumps use crankcase pressure to operate the fuel pump. Hope this helps...

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-08-06, 07:52 PM   #6  
Or you could just pick up a little 12 volt universal electric fuel pump (4 psi or so) at any auto parts store. Make sure to wire it so that the power is off when the key is off. Otherwise, I suppose you'll need to keep the fuel level up in the tank.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread