Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Pressure Washer NOT Starting?

NJ

10-10-06, 09:08 AM   #1  
Pressure Washer NOT Starting?

Hello Guys. I have a Troybilt Pressure Washer 2850 PSI with a Briggs and Stratton 6.75 HP which is starting to give me problems after only three years of very little use. I used it once or twice during the first 2 years but did not use it during the last 12 months or more. I tried it last night but no matter how much i pull the handle it just wont start! It has new gas, good sparkplug, clean air filter and new oil but no luck. The first year i had it it would start with the first pull. Is there anything i should look for on the machine because everything on it looks new.. If anyone in this forum can give me some help i will appreciate it.. Thanks alot guys for looking..

Sponsored Links

TX

10-10-06, 09:22 AM   #2  
If the unit was stored with any fuel remaining in the carburetor, chances are it's the carburetor causing your problem. Just because the fuel tank was empty does not mean that the carburetor was empty and dry. Any fuel remaining in the carburetor for that period of time can cause problems.

You can try to prime the engine to see if it will start, if it does start with a prime and then die, it's most likely a fuel or carburetor problem.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

10-10-06, 11:14 AM   #3  
Also while you should have the water hooked up prior to starting, holding the trigger open creates less resistance allowing for easier starting.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

NJ

10-10-06, 02:40 PM   #4  
pressure washer not starting!

Thanks for your replies and just to let you know that i have been trying to start it without water and i will try it with water tonight but if it does not start could you let me know how to prime the engine probably with some starter fluid? Thanks again..

TX

10-10-06, 03:06 PM   #5  
I use carburetor cleaner to prime an engine with. It is not a explosive as ether, which is what most starting fluid is. Just a shot or two should do the trick, if it does not fire off after a few pulls of the rope then there may be another problem.

Take the air filter cover off and remove the air filter element, open the choke (if it has one) and spray some primer into the throat of the carburetor. Make sure the engine is in the start or run position. If everything else is ok it should fire off and run a second or two until it burns out the prime.

NY

10-11-06, 03:11 AM   #6  
For the following, I'd rather you use a squirt can of gasoline than a can of carburetor cleaner. You may get lucky with a good kick in the butt by trying the trick 30year suggested only with gasoline and staying at the carburetor opening with the can of gas and lightly squirt gas in the throat as it want to die out. Using a second person is the best and easiest way to accomplish this as you can be at the ready with the squirt can and the second person can pull the engine over to start it. You can find a squirt can at any automotive parts store, likely labeled as a oil squirt can but this will work with gasoline also. Sometimes this is good enough to clear out any possible varnish/scale build-up in the carburetor. Furthermore, I can't recommend using fuel stabilizer enough. Any gasoline powered engine that set for an extended period of time between uses is prone to varnish build-up and stabilizer helps greatly. What I recommend to my customers is not only to use stabilizer but run the engine at least once a month during periods of hibernation and keep your fuel supply treated with stabilizer year-round using one ounce of stabilizer per gallon of gasoline each time you go to the gas station to fill up your supply jug.

TX

10-11-06, 05:55 AM   #7  
Whoa! gasoline is much more explosive then carb cleaner, and if you try to keep it running with this method you run the risk of a back fire that can ignite that little torch your holding in your hand. Also you are going to probably need the carb cleaner, if you have to clean the carburetor of any build up or varnish.

Don't try running it with any kind of primer, it's just a test to see if it will start.

If it dies then you need to address the problem. The fuel or the carburetor

And fuel stabilzer is a great idea for any small engines especially ones that are used only once in a while.

Last edited by 30yearTech; 10-11-06 at 08:00 AM.

NJ

10-11-06, 07:55 AM   #8  
pressure washer not starting!

Thanks again guys i also noticed that the sparkplug is not lighting when i pull the starter so before i try the prime i will get a new sparkplug today and let you know tomorrow how it went. Thanks again.

Search this Thread