Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

blades won't engage on toro

10-11-06, 10:50 AM   #1  
blades won't engage on toro

help! i'm using a toro self propelled lawnmower. it starts fine, runs fine, but my blades won't engage. when i lift the drive/blade bar, the drive mechanism works fine, but the blades don't spin. i can move them manually, but they seem tight and it seems to be scraping inside (i can hear a scraping metal sound). before they wouldn't engage, it sputtered and died when the blades were going. this happened for about 20 minutes, then they won't engage at all. any thoughts?

Sponsored Links

TX

10-11-06, 10:59 AM   #2  
Possible Broken Drive Belt

Since you did not mention any model numbers, I am making the asumption that your mower has a blade brake clutch. On Toro mowers clutching was achieved by a belt being tensioned with an idler pulley so as to activate mower blade.

The ider pulley bearing may have failed, the clutch belt may have broken, the engagement cable may have slipped out of adjustement or broken, the arm that supports the idler pulley may have seized in the mower deck.

The scraping sound you hear when you rotate the blade is most likely the sound of the brake pad rubbing against the brake drum on the blade clutch assy.

Search this Thread