Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

stihl chainsaw

10-12-06, 03:46 PM   #1  
stihl chainsaw

I have an older model ov11 stihl chainsaw it barely starts after lots of pulling has new plug an carb kit will not idle ?? has good spark but not sure of gap setting any ideas

Sponsored Links

TX

10-12-06, 04:49 PM   #2  
Does it run once you get it started?

Possible compression problem, also check for any debris caught under the reed plate.

You can test if it is a compression problem by adding a few drops (about 10) of 2 cycle oil into the cylinder through the spark plug hole, pull it through slowly a few time to let the oil spread out and coat the cylinder. Reinstall the plug and try to start it as you normally would, if it starts up ok until it burns the oil out then the compression probably is not very good.

Take the muffler off and inspect the piston and cylinder, see if you have any scratches and if the ring is free.

10-13-06, 04:40 AM   #3  
stihl chainsaw

once started runs great but it dont really want to idle,since putting carb kit in I adjusted the settings may have done more harm than good air/fuel may be wrong?? or it's getting to much gas just dont know,guess it could be compression but it seem to be ok,have even tried a shot of starter fluid when it's cold but that wont kick it off with out alot of work

TX

10-13-06, 05:10 AM   #4  
If it runs ok once you get it started, then the compression and reed plate are ok.

Check for the seal around the air filter directly over the carburetor. If this is missing then the choke will not seal good and saw will be hard to start.

Try initial settings on H and L at 1 1/2 turns out from seat. Idle circuit may be plugged if it still does not want to idle.

10-13-06, 05:54 AM   #5  
stihl chainsaw

hey thanks I'll give that shot an let you know

10-21-06, 05:02 AM   #6  
stihl chainsaw

hey 30 yr tech just a note of thanks I fiddled w/the L/H settings and ahve been able to get the saw started on a consistent basis w/only a couple of pulls.....

Search this Thread