Pull Cord Won't Turn Engine - Tecumseh pwrd Snowblower

Old 10-14-06, 06:20 PM
Pull Cord Won't Turn Engine - Tecumseh pwrd Snowblower

Hi engine experts -

I just bought a used snowblower today from some stranger. It started right up in this guy's garage on the second pull with a cold engine. I happily paid the man, threw it in the truck and drove it home.

I tried to "fire it up" for my wife when I got home and ... no luck. I've tried to call the guy back...but that's another story.

Here are the details...

When I pull the cord, I'm just unwinding the spring. I can tell that it's not turning over the engine. When I pull the cord I hear a little click but that's it. No resistance at all (except for the spring that winds up the cord again).

I've done some searching on this site and others, and it sounds like it's not a real big problem. But I hear about the "spring" that I have to be careful about so that it doesn't shoot parts all over my garage floor but nothing more specific than that.

I understand that what needs fixing is under the metal housing that holds the pull cord. That's about all I know.

If anyone can help me out on what I should look for/oil/not mess with. I'd really appreciate it.

The engine is a 5hp Tecumseh Snow King in a 10ish year-old craftsman snowblower.

Any suggestions or advise would greatly be appreicated.

Thanks!!

Brian

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-06, 06:54 PM
The starter dogs are not engaging the starter cup. There is a friction brake that applies a little pressure on the retainer that causes the dog to kick out.

You do not have to remove the starter reel or spring to fix this problem.

If you list the model number off of your engine, I can see which starter is on your engine, and advise you on the best way to repair.

Old 10-14-06, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the fast reply!

I just went out to the garage...there are no markings at all on the engine. I didn't take off the housing where the shaft comes out though. The only way I knew it was a Techumseah Snow King is that there is a little plastic key in it with that marking on it.

I found a listing of a used engine w/ picture that looks exactly like mine. I don't know if this will help, though.

http://www.smallenginebusiness.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SEB&Product_Code=ES-LH195SA-67418&Category_Code=SED-SNOW

I believe the model # on that one is LH195SA.

Thanks for taking the time to offer your help, I really appreciate it!!

Brian

Old 10-14-06, 09:55 PM
deadSnoBlowrGuy
If you look on the very top of the starter shroud, you should see some markings. Unless you have an electric starter button there, then it will probably be right under neath it. It may be either (example only) HM50-55165 or something like that. Sometimes it may be on the side of the shroud but it should be there. As 30 year tech said, the numbers are quite important so you can get the correct parts.

snoman

Old 10-15-06, 07:58 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Even if you can find the craftsman # it can help to find the engine #.
Here is a manual that may help identify the engine as well as repair steps.
http://www.cpdonline.com/692509.pdf

Old 10-15-06, 10:25 AM
I got it running!

I ended up just taking the pull cord assembly part that's bolted on to the engine off. Inside I found a piece of metal just sitting inside the cup. I just needed to snap it back into place behind a little spring.

Hopefully it was just a one time thing. And I don't have to put it back on over and over.

Thanks for the info on how to find out what engine I have. I may look into finding an electric starter for it. There is a sticker that says it's compatible. I'm guessing it's not that hard to clamp one on by replacing the pull starter.

Thanks everyone!