Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Scott Bonnar Diplomat Lawnmower

10-15-06, 12:56 AM   #1  
Scott Bonnar Diplomat Lawnmower

Scott Bonnar Diplomat reel mower with a burned out clutch.
Planning to make a new clutch plate from cork, but I don't know how to take the clutch apart.
It looks like the pressure plate sits inside the pulley, but how do you separate to renew the clutch plate??
Model is superceded and no spare parts are available.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-15-06, 11:22 PM   #2  
Sorry Kempe,

I've never heard of that mower that I recall. However, I don't think cork will last more than a few minutes as a clutch material...if that long.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NY

10-16-06, 03:15 AM   #3  
Agreed, on the material aspect. Check with your local motorcycle shops for possible material to be used. The material used on cycle clutches would work well.

10-16-06, 05:01 AM   #4  
Thanks for the replies about the motorcycle shop for clutch material, great idea, I just have to work out how the thing comes apart first

10-28-06, 08:36 PM   #5  
Still can't get the clutch apart, but reckon it must be a pretty standard system across a lot of makes and models.
I just know am missing something obvious
You have the drive pulley and a metal plate (pressure plate) on the outside of it with two holes as if some kind of wrench would fit in to screw it off.
In between the pulley and the plate is the clutch plate.
Initially I thought the outer plate (pressure plate) would unscrew somehow against the direction of rotation, but it just spins in both directions.
Grass is getting longer.......lol

Anyone got any ideas

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-29-06, 03:23 PM   #6  
Are the holes threaded? (In the outer plate)

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

03-09-10, 01:37 AM   #7  
Posted By: Kempe Scott Bonnar Diplomat reel mower with a burned out clutch.
Planning to make a new clutch plate from cork, but I don't know how to take the clutch apart.
It looks like the pressure plate sits inside the pulley, but how do you separate to renew the clutch plate??
Model is superceded and no spare parts are available.
Hi Kempe, I have the same problem with removing the clutch plate on my S.B. diplomat, did you have any success, if you did can you let me know.

NH

03-09-10, 06:12 AM   #8  
I did a search of your mower. I found that it is an Austrailian made mower. I also found this site that has a downloadeable service manual, but you do have to pay for it.

scott bonnar diplomat self drive lawn mower service manual - PDFQueen - PDF Search engine. Free unlimited pdf search and download.

Search this Thread