Advice on buying a john deere X300

Old 10-06-06, 10:33 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Advice on buying a john deere X300

I was wondering what peoples take on John deere is specifically their modell X300. I spoke to a sales rep and he said not to go with the L modells as they were specifically designed for the lower end to compete in the home centers. i drove both and I do feel the difference. Now does the John deere X300 really worth the $2799.00 price tag? They presented me with a consumer reports page that named the X304 as number 1 overall but it was not the X300 though it did say X300 on the sidein smaller writing. i like the fact that it had a Kawasaki engine though. If you guys think that the price is not worth it can anyone suggest a alternative to John Deere. Thanks any help will be appreciated.

Dharma

Old 10-06-06, 11:28 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
The basic difference between the X300 and the X304 is the 304 has four-wheel-steer. In other words, the rear wheels steer as well as the front, articulating-like. I don't like the four steer, unnecessary and prone to break-downs, generally. I do like the 300. Well worth the money. As far as comparing this to another make of equal quality, I don't think you can. That's my opinion.

Old 10-06-06, 12:46 PM
D
thanks for the advice it is much appreciated. Anyone else have any imput too the more the better.

thanks,
Dharma

Old 10-07-06, 01:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
I haven't had the opportunity to work on or use one of these yet...or even look at one closely. If Puey reccomends it that highly, then I'm sure it's a good one. Kawasaki is my favorite lawn mower engine. I see them regularly 20 years old and older still chugging away like a new one. Deere has built some of the very best mowers out there. I do agree that the L and LT series are consumer grade products.

Old 10-07-06, 11:41 PM
D
Are there any other ride on mowers out there that use kawasaki engines? Would guys say that they are the best engines out there? I am still very much leaning towards getting the Jon deere X300 even though most of my neighbors think that I am wasting my money on the name brand. I think they have had experiences with the lower L and LT models. Does John deere ever have any sales during certian times of the year?
thanks for the advice so far.

Dharma

Old 10-08-06, 06:35 PM
Smile John Deere

Question, are you going to use this unit for anything other then mowing?
If not then you might want to consider a ZTR mower, they have better visabiltiy, the engine is in the back so you don't have to smell the exhaust or feel the heat from the engine. They are zero turn radius mowers and that cuts down on mowing time. Cub Cadet, and Toro have some nice ZTR's. If you do not need the tractor for implements and mowing then I would highly reccomend looking at some consumer ZTR mowers, you should be able to find a nice one in that price range.

But to answer your question, the John Deere machine is very nice and they are built well. But Deere's are a little harder to find parts for except at a JD dealer, even the Kawasaki engines speced to JD sometimes have parts that are only available through JD dealers.

Old 10-10-06, 09:18 AM
D
yes I was hoping that i could use it for aerating and overseeding and anything I can think of. but I know with a john deere that this wold get very costly for all the attachments. My Wife wanted me to ask if there was any other type of lawn tractors/ride on mowers that you guys would highly recommend. I want a John Deere because of their reputation but I would have to agree with my wife that a $3200 bill for a ride on with a grass cather is a lot of money. Especially when my neighbor loves his craftsman which he got for half the price with a lot of attachments included. I myself would like to buy a john deere but I would like to explore any other suggestions if you guys have any. Please any input would be greatly appreciated.

thanks for all the advice already though,

Dharma

Old 10-10-06, 09:26 AM
Toro/Wheelhorse are very good but may cost as much as a Deere, Cub Cadet have some nice models also. If you want something that is of good quality and will last, it's going to cost. I really don't think Craftsman riding mowers are in the same league as JD.

Old 10-10-06, 08:08 PM
D
thanks everyone for your advice I will let you guys know which one I will go for after some test driving!

Thanks everyone,
dharma

Old 10-10-06, 11:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree, quality will cost you. I think Craftsman is a good buy as far as quality vs cost. Especially the higher priced models. Are they as good as the deere...maybe not, but I've seen some of them last just as long and work as hard, so some may disagree. If it was my money, it would be a large craftsman with a Kohler, electric PTO, and hydro tranny.

Old 10-11-06, 07:23 AM
Simplicity (and their Massey Ferguson, Snapper and AGCO clones), Toro, Cub Cadet all make comparable machines to Deere's line up, and if you compare apples to apples, they cost about the same. One way to look at this, is to compare features and operator comfort. Perhaps one model has a better control layout, or more leg room, or easier to lift attachments. Or perhaps one dealer is closer to home, or has a better service dept, or has better parts inventory.

Old 10-13-06, 08:32 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
I can't say as I disagree with any thing posted so far, I do agree with chesse however that bang for buck, Craftsman and other comparable mowers can and will do the same work as the high priced (quality) units. Especially as long as regular maintenance is kept up.
Personally I feel that John Deere has NO service department!!!

A post in this thread http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=280927
Originally Posted by BadlyBent
It has been my experience working as a service tech at a John Deere dealership that once they start to slip, grind, or otherwise function improperly...they're just about toast. They are also expensive both for the transaxle and the labor. 2-3 hour job and our rate is $65 an hour. You might wanna start looking on eBay for a mower near you. Sorry for the bad news.
typically describes my experiences with John Deere service...(that hourly rate is awfully low compared to $79 an hour in my area)

By owning a John Deere you also commit to only purchasing replacement or repair parts from them as well. Anyone can and will be able to work on, and get parts for a Craftsman or the like. Look at the higher end models for the heavier gage steel, Electric PTO...etc.

Old 10-14-06, 12:14 AM
D
Thanks for all the replies. I think I will most likely go with craftsman after some discussions with the wife. I will go with their kohler engine models. My wife is sold on Craftsman especially siince her dad works for Sears and get us a additional 10% off. Thanks for all of the help guys,

Dharma

Old 10-15-06, 11:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Good luck with it! You should be happy with what you get for what you spend. Also, I don't know if sears still offers tractors with the standard shift tranny with the high/low range selector, but if they do...I would reccomend that over a hydro tranny. That particular tranny is pretty durn tough.

Old 10-18-06, 11:39 AM
I
My in-laws bought the commercial JD model from the farm equipment dealer a couple of years ago. It has the Kawasaki engine, don't know the model. Best lawn tractor I've every been on.

My parents recently bought one of the JD's from the big box store. A little smaller than the one above, with a Briggs engine. Also a very nice running machine - and much cheaper to buy.

Most of the features are pretty similar between the two.

Too early to tell about reliability, but I would probably look pretty closely at the cheaper one if I were buying - unless it were for commercial use.

Also, as somebody said above, if you really want a mower, I might look at the zero turn models.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: