mccullough chain saw pull string problem

Old 10-17-06, 08:33 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
mccullough chain saw pull string problem

I have a McCullough 36cc chain saw, model MS1636NAV, and have discovered that the pull string has stopped working. It will not retrieve back into the casing after being pulled. I took the casing off and found that the end of the spring had dislodged from the base. It also appeared that the spring had pulled out of the spring case and I could not get it back into the case. I reinserted the end of the spring into the base and rewound the spring but it continues to not retrieve back into the casing after being pulled. Do I need to replace the entire spring assembly?

Thanks for your help.

Old 10-17-06, 02:49 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
So it appears, but the bad news is that you won't be able to buy just the spring. MTD - the parent company of this saw - has only the complete starter assembly available. Part number MC-9228-MD0901 which is less than $20.

Old 10-25-06, 03:14 AM
Did you order the part needed and get your trouble repaired yet Tom?

Old 10-25-06, 12:35 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pull String

I ordered the part and replaced the pull string. That works fine now. My new problem is that the cylinder seems to be difficult to pull through to start. It seems to be catching and not turning smoothly. I expect to have to really do some work to get to the bottom of the problem. Unfortunately, I don't have the time work on it right now and I'm afraid of the repair bill. I have a man come out and use the saw once in a while to cut trees up and he might have caused this problem, although he's very knowlegable about the right oil/gas mix and so on.

Thanks for the help.

Tom

Old 10-25-06, 02:30 PM
Did you order and replace the complete starter assembly? If so and if you know the starter pawls on the flywheel are OK (in other words, the difficult pull is not related to the starter) then you need to remove the muffler and have a look at the condition of the piston and cylinder.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: