Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Tecumseh lev 120: carb/governer

10-21-06, 02:09 PM   #1  
Tecumseh lev 120: carb/governer

Toro lawnmower (2003) started dying not under load - could keep going by pushing bulb slightly. Pulled carb and cleaned. Reinstalled carb. Starts, but only putt, putt. putt. I could speed up engine by manually advancing throttle but then it would not be "goverened." It would self destruct if I did not intervene. (Did I say that I [ignorantly] detached the governer arm and did not quite remember its exact location?) I think the trouble is now the governer arm position relative the pin it mounts on, yes? I cannot find any info anywhere (and let me rant about the lack of info in the manual(?)) about how everything connects up and what default positions should be.

Please, someone, get me out of trouble. I really do not want to have to the shop and explain what I did to the "expert."

TIA

Stephen11962

Sponsored Links

TX

10-21-06, 07:20 PM   #2  
Here is a link to a service manual that will cover the tecumseh
http://www.cpdonline.com/692509.pdf

The above link was posted by Azis in another thread. This manual has a section on governors that may shed some light on your problem. I could tell you how to hook your governor up, but it would probably be easier for you with an illustration.

10-22-06, 07:14 AM   #3  
The link is exactly what I was looking for.

Sunday Am and I am off to see if I can redeem myself. I hope the governor setting is the only problem. If not, I will be back!

Thanks

Stephen11962

10-22-06, 10:06 AM   #4  
Redemtion on a Sunday morning!

A picture is worth a thousand words.

One question though. I took off the muffler to have easier access to the carb. There was no gasket? Is this proper? And there is evidence of a slight leak. I bought this machine new and this is the first occasion to take anything off the machine.

Thanks again.

Stephen11962

TX

10-22-06, 02:45 PM   #5  
Some installations use a gasket, others do not, it just depends on what kind of muffler is on your engine. A slight exhaust leak should not affect anything as long as it is not blowing directly onto the carburetor or fuel system you should be alright.

Looking at a breakdown of a Toro lawnmower with a LEV120 engine, shows no gasket between the muffler and engine block. Without your Toro model number I could only guess at which unit you might have. You can look up an illustrated parts list at

https://lookup2.toro.com/partdex/

and see if they show a gasket for your application.

10-22-06, 05:37 PM   #6  
No muffler shown. I'll sleep more easily tonight. Somehow, never thought of going to the Toro website - better than Tecumseh - easier access to more info.

Thanks one more time.

Stephen

06-24-09, 06:25 PM   #7  
lev 120 leaking gas

I have aTecumseh LEV120.. I had in in my shed for a few months when I took it out all the gas was gone, when I put new gas in it. It all leaked out for the Carburetor gasket. I replaced it and cleaned the inside of it.... now it will start but when i stop it the gas leaks out of the air filter. can anyone help

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-24-09, 08:14 PM   #8  
You need to clean the carb, replace the needle, seat, and float.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

07-04-09, 10:03 PM   #9  
Posted By: 30yearTech Here is a link to a service manual that will cover the tecumseh
http://www.cpdonline.com/692509.pdf

The above link was posted by Azis in another thread. This manual has a section on governors that may shed some light on your problem. I could tell you how to hook your governor up, but it would probably be easier for you with an illustration.
Originally Posted by myersdam
I aqquired a craftsman rider. i have rebilt the carb. I am looking for a photo on the governor linkage setuo. someone screwed it up and I need to get it back right. It will start and run full choke. then turn down to idle and it idles just fine. when you move the throttle just a hair it goes crazy. runs full blast, way over. governor linkage is so messed up. Can you help me please? I don't even know what year it is. Thanks

Sounds to me that the Gov.arm is broken,the Gov.grea (inside the engine)or the Gov.arm is just out of ajustment.Try losening the screw that holds the Gov.arm to the Gov.rod.then hold the throttle on the carb. to idel,turn Gov.rod clock wise as far as it will go.Tighten screw back.try. if that's not right turn Gov.rod the other way.In the mean timegiveme the kind of engine you have (IE. B&S or tecumseh or ??????) and the model # off of the engine shord and I'll try to find a pic in one of my books.

PS - As far as the year of the engine goes, the first two numbers in the code # in the year.

The gov in the eng does work. the springs and link are not connected right. the arm to the gov on the eng is loose but easy to take care of, I'll get the eng number. Tecumseh

Thanks 30yr tech, this link is exactly what I needed also. Will work on it sunday if I have time.

Search this Thread