Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Honda mower will not start

10-21-06, 02:49 PM   #1  
Honda mower will not start

I own a Honda Harmony II mower model HRR2162SDA. This is the first mower I have owned and I decided to change the oil which was easy. I then got excited and turned the mower in the other side (the air filter side) and when I picked it back up I had a puddle of oil that leaked through the air filter. I then decided to take the assembly behind the air intake apart and put it back together. I bought a new filter then it started right back up. I went out yesterday and tried to start the mower (colder out now) and it would not start. When I pull the string it spins and some smoke comes out of the exhaust but not much else. I would like to avoid a repair shop if there is a fix. I am pretty handy and would like to know if anyone has any advice. Thanks.

Sponsored Links

TX

10-21-06, 05:59 PM   #2  
I would check the spark plug, it may be oil fouled, also check and make sure the choke is closing all the way on the carbuertor, if it is not then that will make if very hard to start.

10-21-06, 07:11 PM   #3  
Honda mower

Sounds like 30 yr tech has some good ideas,as far as being oil fouled when you remove the spark plug to see if oil is on the plug ,if you have never replaced the spark plug you might want to do it since it doesn,t cost very much and at the same time ground the plug to see if your getting spark,Another thing I have found at times is since you had the mower on its side if there was any water in the gas possibly it got stirred up and now is causing some problem possibly, This is also an easy fix just drain the gas in the tank in a small cup or container and see if there was some water in it , it is usually seperated in the bottom and can easily be seen after draining the tank in the bottom of your cup or container, Also if there was some water in the tank there might be some in carburator bowl, again an easy fix just pull off carb bowl and and you can see if there is water in the bottom just looking at it, if not just put the bowl right back in and tighten against gasket,At this point after checking for spark,Replacing plug , draining gas to check for water, drain bowl and check for water , then just try to see if it will start, Remember to let bowl fill up after draining and see if it will start, since if it has spark it should start , if not sounds like either choke or something fuel related ,well just my ideas hope they help,

10-21-06, 07:20 PM   #4  
Honda

Just 1 other thing and it may not apply, but If you changed the oil make sure it is full to the line like the book says, I have had some honda engines with a low oil pressure cut off , so if the oil is not at the right level it won,t let it start, also if the mower is on a slope or angle it might not start,Just another idea was all

10-23-06, 06:27 PM   #5  
engine starts

I took the old plug out today and it was black. Defiantly the problem I did have a gaper so I just stuck it in and it fired right up but it is running pretty unsteady with an occasional back fire. Will this be fixed once I gap it correctly? I eyed the current spark plug with the new one (since I bought a Honda spark plug). If it is gapped correctly will it run smoother? Is there something else wrong? Please let me know and thank you so much for all your advice. I saved a lot of time and money.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-23-06, 08:24 PM   #6  
Is the choke staying partially closed? This would cause the black soot on the plug and the rough running if so. If not, double check the new air filter to be sure it isn't soaked with gas. Try it without the filter to see if it improves. The plug gap shouldn't be much of an issue unless the gap is way out of spec.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

10-24-06, 05:55 PM   #7  
How to check the choke

I would like to check the choke but I am not so sure what I am looking for. I believe I want to look at the piece behind the intake. First how do I look at it without taking in apart and second what am I looking for. I really appreciate all the help again. I gapped the plug today and it started to run a lot better not perfect but a huge improvement. Any other help would be greatly appreciated.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-25-06, 12:12 AM   #8  
There are 2 shafts going into the top of the carb with linkages attatched. Make sure the one closest to the opening at the air filter is traveling it's full length of travel.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread