Mastercraft riding mower runs but won't move, brake stuck

Old 10-23-06, 10:28 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mastercraft riding mower runs but won't move, brake stuck

Mastercraft riding mower, older model, 11.5 hp B&S, 5 speed. Has a left foot brake clutch pedal. Belt drive. I am not mechanically inclined in the least, but this mower and I have a running personal vendetta with one another and I have so far proven the winner and learned a little bit in the process. Now it is running great, but the past few mows it has steadily started slowing its forward motion, even though it runs fine. Kind of like a car with a slipping clutch. I tried to mow yesterday and it started out alright, then a few minutes later it steadily slowed to a crawl, so I "popped" the brake clutch pedal and it went fine for a little more, then slowed again to a stop, "popped" it again and drove back to the garage (still ever slowing) after I noticed a low front tire. After filling the tire up, I went to start it again but now the brake clutch pedal seems to be stuck in the "down" position and it will not move at all, in forward or reverse. Please help me diagnose. Thank you.

Old 10-23-06, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Could be a simple thing as a strached drive belt,or a sticky clutch bell idler arm or the idler pully barings ane going bad.
Check these and get back with us.

Old 10-23-06, 02:56 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I'd say you have a weak/broken spring related to the ground drive belt arrangement. It probably was weak and now it is broken. You'll practically need to stand on your head to have a look, but, you need to inspect the drive belt(s) and their related spring(s). It may be necessary to remove the mower deck to reasonably have a peek in there. Good luck and let us know.

Old 10-23-06, 08:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Some of these (ones without step-through frame design) had a removeable plate where the f/n/r shifter is. Belt and drive system component inspection is done much more easily through here with the plate removed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: