Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman mower propulsion

10-23-06, 12:52 PM   #1  
Craftsman mower propulsion

I have mower model 917.377292 with
engine model 143.976500

When I engage clutch to drive, the wheels lock.
I removed shroud and cleaned out the works (without dismantling any mechanics), and notice the belt does NOT turn...

1. should it (the belt) be moving?
2. what am I in for? (before I end the season with no mower, I'd rather have a push-mower... so this can be put off)
3. what drives the belt (obviously- the engine shaft--- but is there a pulley on it? and how much is entailed getting to it?)

Many thanks in advance... peter

Sponsored Links

AL

10-23-06, 02:15 PM   #2  
Yes the belt should be moving and the fact thats it not,it's porobly broken.Look on the front of the mower,on the right side (as you stand in front of it).Take the plastic cover that runs from the front of the engine to the edge of the cutting deck,thats where you'll find the belt.You also (might) have to take the blade off to get a new belt on,but I don't think so.

NY

10-23-06, 03:00 PM   #3  
First though, remove the belt from the tranny pulley and manually try to turn the pulley clockwise. If not, then it may be either the tranny itself (internally) or the axle bushings/bearings froze up. If you can turn the pulley but get no movement of the axle then it will be a stripped gear set situation in the tranny. I think the former will be your case and that the tranny is seized, most likely that is.

TX

10-23-06, 03:13 PM   #4  
If your tranny is froze up, you can turn it into a push mower to finish up the season, it's pretty easy. Just remove each drive wheel and you will see a drive gear on the transmission axle shaft, there should be a little clip ring "e-ring" that can be snap off of the shaft then you can slide the drive gear off. Re-install the wheel and repeat for the other side, you can now push your mower with no resistance from the drive system.

10-24-06, 12:30 PM   #5  
thanks for the advice so far--
the wheels lock when they shoud drive... I've been pushing the mower without assistance.
If the belt won't move it's broken...
If the wheels lock up, it's the tranny...
Can the belt- in ANY way, be the cause of locking up?
I doubt it, but I want to start with all needed parts on hand to fix this fast.
Again.. TIA

NY

10-24-06, 02:42 PM   #6  
So, you've been skidding the drive wheels in order to mow your lawn? Or are they freewheeling? No, the belt will not cause the drive to lock up, provided the belt is in the V-groove of each pulley and not jammed between the pulley and the housing.

Visiting Guest

10-24-06, 03:16 PM   #7  
Azis
The locking of your wheels happens or seems to happen when you engage the clutch. Not only does it (the drive handle) put tension on the belt but I think it also engages the input pulley with the axles. Now when you try to push the front wheels they are trying to turn the tranny and input pulley in reverse since the belt is not turning the input. With the mower shut off and spark plug wire removed, you may be able to turn the input pulley on the tranny and see the wheels move. This will tell you your tranny is working ok.
There may be an adjustment on the cable from the bar on the handles to the drive unit. Maybe no adjustment and stretched cable or mounting....or as already mentioned belt...

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-25-06, 12:34 AM   #8  
Or maybe the belt has just come off the pulley on the engine crankshaft and is just riding on the crank? Removal of the cover underneath will reveal if this is the case.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

10-25-06, 05:44 AM   #9  
puey61 - if I were young, strong and stupiid, yes, I'd be skidding thru the turf.
But it does freewheel... so I can work around the problem for now... which I'll do til we get a hard frost (NJ). Then I'll play doctor.
Engines I've worked on - down to the points... but transmissions are new- thus my queries.

Again, guys, thanks!

TX

10-25-06, 06:45 AM   #10  
This type of transmission has a worm gear driving a helical gear on the axle, so yes anytime you engage the transmission and the input (worm) gear is not turning the transmission will lock up.

If the drive belt is broken or has just come off the drive pulley the transmission will appear to be locked when engaged.

To inspect the drive belt, simply remove the belt cover and mower blade, remove the blade adapter from the engine crankshaft (should slide off once the blade is removed) take the plastic belt guard off and you can see the drive pulley for the belt. If it has come off, inspect it before reinstalling it as it can become damaged from riding on the crankshaft directly. Otherwise if it looks ok, simply reinstall the belt, the transmission is spring loaded to keep tension on the belt so you will have to pivot the top of the tranny towards the engine to gain slack in the drive belt.

If everything looks to be in place but the transmssion will not operate, then remove the belt from the transmission and see if you can turn the input shaft and pulley on the transmission (as described in a post above).

You can see a break down of your transmission at the sears parts site, your transmission part number is 702511

Best of Luck!

12-09-06, 08:40 AM   #11  
Final disposition- the demise of the craftsman!

Ah, well... was going to wait til the season ended, but got close enough when the engine decided not to start-

OK, clogged carb- most likely... (from knowing what I DO know) so, $50 in labor + $100+ in trans parts + $40+ in carb parts... we're at $200 for a 10 yr old mower...

for $50 more I replaced it with a Poulan... so many similar parts that I'm keeping many old ones as spares.

Many thanks for the answers I got... as I disassemble the old one, I'll learn about the new one.

Oh, I found the websites for engine & housing assemblies... and have them Stored on my computer for future reference.

Again... thanks

Search this Thread