Chieftain Snowblower 8hp/25" track drive

Old 10-28-06, 01:05 PM
Chieftain Snowblower 8hp/25" track drive

I just picked up a trackdrive snowblower with what seems to be a ghost brand - Cheiftain. It looks like a NOMA/Murray as best I can tell, somewhat similar in appearance to a Craftsman 536.884900 where the handle is a loop and two L shapped (together forming a T) paddle drive/auger handles hinge from the middle and pull back to the middle part of the loop handle. The blower model number is worn off, but the serial # is still there - 862895, and it says Service Dept 201 E.Brink St, Harvard IL 60033. So far, all it seems to need besides painting is one skid and an impeller bearing. The impeller bearing is 7/8 ID, not yet sure of OD and has 2 bolts holding on the bearing retainer, looking much like the one on Sears parts site for the above referenced model.

The engine is a Tecumseh HM80 155316N Ser 8152R. I know the service number means it was built in 19x8, week 152, and I'm guessing that's 1988, but am not sure how to verify

Anyone have any history on Chieftain or have a good idea of how it matches to a better known brand so I can find a parts list? Or perhaps can at least verify the age of the engine?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-06, 03:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Never heard of that brand. Like you suspect, it is probably a store brand built by one of the major manufacturers. There is no way to tell by the numbers what decade it was built in to my knowledge...just the year, but your probably right. If it has points style ignition, it would be a '78.

Old 10-29-06, 05:14 PM
Lawn Chief

They called it Lawn Chief Manufacturing for True Value Hardware. Probably MTD.

AJ

Old 10-30-06, 03:07 AM
The machine likely is a 1988 due to the 1553XX. If it were a 1552XX it would more likely be a 70's vintage engine. As far as obtaining an accurate parts list will be difficult other than trying to write the noted company and getting any information from them, if possible. Otherwise, you'll want to find a local Murray dealer in your area and taking any parts needed with you for them to match up to what you have in hand. Do you have the ability and knowledge to post some pictures of the machine for us to have a look at?

Old 10-31-06, 12:00 AM
Found it!

I actually found the model by persistance and dumb luck on a "m-and-d" small engine parts site and it turned out to be a MTD A825TJ (or C825TG). Or at least the chances of an 8hp 25" track drive snowblower that has the exact same handles, etc is pretty slim! And yes, I have the means to post pictures, but will wait until I get it back together (took the entire auger housing assembly off for painting and replacing the bearing). It's amazing how close the Murray based Craftsman and the MTD are, other than the handles hinging from the sides vs the center. Thanks for the help!

Old 10-31-06, 03:09 AM
Actually, it would be helpful if you took pics of it in it's disassembled state. And the model you posted is more like that of Murray, not MTD and furthermore, this is a model typical of ones made in Canada. The thing that gets me is that you have found the serial number and the model number should be on the same tag as the serial number is found. Wipe away any grease and grime and look closer for the model number on your machine. Anytime you need parts it would be more likely to get the right ones using your model number from your machine rather than parts from a look-alike machine.

Old 01-03-08, 04:56 PM
I have been searching the internet looking for information on the chieftain snowblower. I see that you have one also. Did you ever find a parts book? Mine says that it is made in Canada. Mine is a 20" 4hp. The shaft that drives tracks broke. I was able to weld it back toghether, but would like to have a replacement in case it brakes again.

Old 01-04-08, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by kflyte View Post
Mine says that it is made in Canada.
I think MTD manufactures its snowblowers in Canada, in any case I have noticed that a lot of MTD based brands have Made in Canada decals.

Old 01-04-09, 10:42 PM
kflyte

I just bought a Chieftain snowblower, today. I see that you have one also. Mine is just like yours, a 20" 4hp. saying "Made in Canada". Everything works OK for now, but I'd like to find an owner 's manual (or any info. so I could be up & running if something breaks.) Let me know if you found out anymore info. Thanks.

Last edited by LABcarp; 01-04-09 at 11:24 PM.
Old 12-20-09, 08:23 PM
Talking chieftain snowblower

HELLO ALL THAT ARE HAVING A HARD TIME FINDING PARTS FOR CHIEFTAIN SNOWBLOWERS WITH TRACK DRIVE
TRY JACKSSMALLENGINES.COM
I WAS ABLE TO FIND ALL THE PARTS NEEDED TO REPAIR MY MACHINE, ENTER THE PART # OR CHECK MTD, OR MURRAY.
I WAS ABLE TO FIND BUSHING FOR SHAFT, AUGER PARTS, DRIVE GEAR FOR TRACK DRIVES. CHECK IT OUT , IT HELPED ME GET MINE RUNNING AGAIN...

Old 01-04-11, 02:47 PM
I'll add a little here based on what I found out...

This should apply to the somewhat mystery brands - Chieftain and Snow Chief brand snow blowers...

As best I can tell, these are the same snow blowers under differing brand names...

Chieftain was the brand sold exclusively at Agway Farm & Garden stores in the Northeast US.

Snow Chief was the brand sold exclusively at True Value Home Centers.

I have a Chieftain C8250G 8hp 25" Dual Stage Snow Thrower. The guy I bought it from had the same exact model, but his was the Snow Chief brand... (these are the wheeled - not track models)

Per a rep at MTD, he says these snow blowers were manufactured by General Power Equipment Company (of Illinois). In 1995, MTD purchased 'certain assets' of General Power (likely before they shuttered). It would seem that the Chieftain and Snow Chief lines were not part of those purchased 'assets' and those lines died when General Power shuttered.

Now... the interesting thing is that, as others have mentioned, these snow blowers have a 'Made in Canada' sticker on them... It would appear that NOMA manufactured these snow blowers under contract for General Power... So certain NOMA/Craftsman Snow Blower parts may actually fit these suckers... That part is speculation on my part but an educated guess.

As such, MTD is of little use for information or parts on these snow blowers.

I did find parts manuals for some chieftain snow blowers at this site (including some parts available for sale).

They are listed under MTD but look for the listing by model number... The Chieftain range I am aware of is:
  • C420TG - 4 HP 20" Dual Stage Track Drive Snowthrower Parts [View Schematic]
  • C5230G - 5 HP Dual Stage Snowthrower Parts [View Schematic]
  • C8250G - 5 HP Dual Stage Snowthrower Parts [View Schematic]
  • C825TG - 8 HP 25" Dual Stage Snowthrower Parts [View Schematic] (this is the 8HP track model that the original poster was talking about)
  • C8280G - 8 HP 28" Dual Stage Snowthrower Parts [View Schematic]

Hopefully, this may help some of us Chieftain and Snow Chief owner's in our cryptic search for parts!

If anyone come across an owner's manual for a Chieftain C8250G 8hp 25" Dual Stage Snow Blower - please let me know.