Jonsered ride on mower...unable to ride

Old 10-29-06, 02:15 PM
Unhappy Jonsered ride on mower...unable to ride

I seem to have a major problem with Jonsered LT2114CMA with transaxle drive.Just removed and replaced the cutting deck,sharpened blades,new deck belt fitted,cutting the paddock,no problem,switched off motor for lunch,2hrs later returned,started engine,but can't get drive lever into either forward or reverse drive.Have checked that main drive belt is going round,but forcing the lever results in stalled engine,with lots of gear grinding noises.
This has happened on one other occasion when restarted after winter lay off,read the manual which suggests purging the axle of air.Have tried this cure today,without success.Pulled out the free-wheel control lever in order to push the beast back into the stables,but found that the mower only rocked backwards and forwards.Jacked up the back and as one wheel is turned the other wheel rotates in the opposite direction,hold one wheel still and the other won't move either,which seems to me I have some sort of lock-up.
Can anyone help please,

Regards,Dave.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-06, 03:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds to me like the brake is stuck. This is usually a rod activated brake on the side of the transaxle. Usually just pushing the rod activated lever forward solves the problem. Might spray the area with some penetrating oil to help keep it from happening again.

I don't believe AYP offered the Jonsereds mowers in the US. Are you in another country?

Old 10-30-06, 02:54 AM
Smile Mobile again!!

Hi Cheese,thanks for your very prompt reply,and the answer to my problem.When I looked closely at the brake lever (in a very inaccessable location!) the locknuts were about 4 inches from the lever and the coil spring floating happily,a slight push with a long screwdriver and the lever jumped back into position.

I took the left hand wheel off and could then see how the lever operates,and was surprised to see a form of disc brake,this it what fooled me about the brake stuck on and the reason I could turn the wheel anyway.

So,all in all,i've learnt a lot this morning,and am most impressed with your site.I am located in the UK,14 miles east of Blackpool,7 miles n/w of Preston.I hope this does not preclude me from posting on this excellent website.

My thanks and best wishes to you and yours.

Dave in Inskip.

Old 10-30-06, 06:30 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Welcome

Hi Dave and welcome to DIY. Absolutely you are more than welcome to post, visit and just hang out here, as I am sure cheese and others will confirm also
It is just a rare event to my knowledge at least to have postings from abroad. Quite refreshing even as it may get some of these old thinkers up on the wheel.
Cheese never fails to impress me with his knowledge, I have never heard "Jonsereds" before, and for cheese to know of them and even better that they are made by AYP?? WoW

I am curious about one thing however, you posted you removed the "left" wheel to get to the brake disc. Normally left and right are as viewed from the operators position. I can't recall finding a brake on the left on mowers here in the states, and was wandering since you folks drive on the wrong side of the road, if perhaps you stopped from the wrong side of the transaxle LOL! j/k of course but curious also.
Hope to see more of you.

Old 10-30-06, 07:26 AM
Originally Posted by Azis
Hi Dave and welcome to DIY. Absolutely you are more than welcome to post, visit and just hang out here, as I am sure cheese and others will confirm also
It is just a rare event to my knowledge at least to have postings from abroad. Quite refreshing even as it may get some of these old thinkers up on the wheel.
Cheese never fails to impress me with his knowledge, I have never heard "Jonsereds" before, and for cheese to know of them and even better that they are made by AYP?? WoW
Jonsered was known in the US as a manufacturer of awesome chain saws. (You might remember seeing a commercial where they cut an anvil in half). Husqvarna aquired them and they have been folded into AYP's products.

Old 10-30-06, 09:33 AM
Thumbs up More on the Jonsered

Hi Az,and many thanks for the kind welcome,and yes,it was the l/h wheel,from the seat as you say,I was going to put n/s but thought that would confuse the issue.
Bontai Joe has it right,with Husqvarna,and Electrolux are in there somewhere I believe,it's a fair machine for the price,and in my farming area it's the make that my nearest dealer stocks.

I look forward to putting up more posts,I have a Ryobi Leaf Blower,2 stroke,the carb of which is the bane of my life,needs stripping down every time I use it,but thats for later,I have some serious mowing to do now.

Thanks for all the replies,and info,
Best wishes
Dave in Inskip,UK.

Old 10-30-06, 09:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad you got it fixed Dave!

You are absolutely welcome to post here with any/all questions and solutions you might have. Location has nothing to do with it . You just got my curiosity up when you mentioned having a Jonsered riding mower. The Jonsered name is common enough in the US, but only for chainsaws. They have a good name. To my knowledge, the name was never put on a riding mower until AYP/Electrolux/Frigidaire obtained ownership of the company. It's a good mower for the money...very much the same as a Craftsman, but with a few differences. I like the way the bagger is set up on them. I've seen one or two. Most parts are available here as they are interchangeable with most AYP products, but they take some funny blades...high dollar and require special ordering here in the states. The ones I've seen here in the states came from a discount/liquidation type catalog.

Thanks for the kind words Azis! You chime in here with some pretty knowledgeable advice too.

Old 10-31-06, 02:35 PM
Cool

Hello Cheese,and thanks for your reply,I am sure glad you remembered the Jonsered.I trawled through the users manual but the only mention of the back brake is a picture of the rod adjustment and the message that the brake only works on one wheel,this is what got me thinking it was a drum brake,I was surprised to see that small disc brake.

Any thoughts on where I might get a more detailed manual for this Mower,the users manual is printed in the U.S.A.
I have to say that the service from the dealer leaves a lot to be desired,thats why I tend to do it myself.
Am I also correct in thinking that only a small number of firms manufacture the transaxle and cutting deck,and so they tend to be used by many mowers.
Don't want to take up too much of your time,but would appreciate any thoughts you have on this,when you have a minute.

Best Wishes
Dave in Inskip UK.

Old 10-31-06, 10:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Most transaxles on tractor style mowers are made by a few companies, namely spicer/dana, tecumseh/peerless, hydro gear, and tuff torq. The decks are made by the mower company. I believe yours has a spicer, but not sure.

I don't know where you'd find a detailed manual for your machine.

Old 11-01-06, 08:14 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
I found this from the Husqy site http://www.jonsered.co.uk/node246.aspx
May only have the Owners/Operators manual available for download, but your model is listed and perhaps you can find contact info there as well to inquire on more manuals.

Old 11-01-06, 09:00 AM
Smile

hello Cheese and Az,thanks for the info received,will work on that,
hope to speak to you chaps another time,
best wishes,
Dave in Inskip UK.