Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

snapper rear end diagram

10-31-06, 05:57 AM   #1  
snapper rear end diagram

Hi,anyone know where I can download a diagram or exploded view of a early model snapper rider,about 1978 or so? I'm trying
to rebuild/restore this old thing and forgot exactly where the
spacer on the axle goes(the one with the set screw) I thought
it went on after the side plate,then the dust cover went over that..and although I wrote it down as I dismantled it,it doesn't
seem right to me...any ideas? thank's

Sponsored Links

TX

10-31-06, 10:04 AM   #2  
http://www.snapper.com/#

go to the above site, click on publications, select your model from the list on the drop down menu, and select the type of manual you want "parts" and press the search button, you can then download a pdf that shows a breakdown of the rider. A 3081w shows to be a 1978 model.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-31-06, 10:56 PM   #3  
It does go on after the side plate and before the dust cover on the the left side of the mower. It's not a spacer...it's a lock ring for the inner bearing race on the bearing for the axle. The side with the recess goes toward the bearing and over the flange on the bearing. Then, with a punch in the hole on the lock ring, tap it around until it is tight on the flange on the inner bearing race, and then tighten the allen head set screw. This was typically on newer models than 1978, but it's not uncommon to see them installed on the older models, since the original bushing that they came with often wore out after 20 years of mowing grass.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

11-01-06, 04:20 AM   #4  
Thank's!

Exactally what I needed! the snapper downloads are great,but
offer so many, and all the number's being gone or painted over
after all these years I had no idea what series it was,so I thought i could go from the engine year(a 78) but it could have
been replaced...but I think I've got a grasp on it now,CHEESE your explanation was dead on! thank's

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-01-06, 11:58 PM   #5  
Great! Glad I could help!

God bless!

11-03-06, 01:02 AM   #6  
Cheese must have "Total Recall"? Amazing!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-06-06, 01:28 AM   #7  
Ha! No... It's just that over the past 2 years, I've had a rash of snappers needeing repairs in the drive system...mostly axle boot replacements...but it's a process I can do with my eyes closed by now, and all the parts are very familiar to me.

God bless!

Search this Thread