tecumseh starter

Old 10-31-06, 04:55 PM
tecumseh starter

riding lawn mower with a tecumseh engine.
any way to test the starter to eliminate it from my troubleshooting? i have a brand new battery with plenty of juice but cant seem to get it to spin. i have tight clean connections on all wires. should i take it off and open it up and if so what do i look for? does it have brushes?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-06, 06:44 PM
It might not be your starter,might be a blown fuse,one of 4 or 5 safety switches has gone bad.the solenoid has gone bye...bye or--even the ignition switch. Is all the wires and cables in good condition,clean and tight??When you’re trying to start it does the solenoid enen click??What happens when you jump it>??

Old 10-31-06, 06:55 PM
1st thing is to make sure the engine is free, can you turn the engine by hand?

You can test the starter and solenoid by jumping the solenoid. The procedure depends on what kind of wiring set up your unit has. Yes the starter motor has brushes.

Let us know the brand and model number of your unit and engine and we all can tell you things to look at and ways to test the electrical system. Without the model numbers we all would just be shooting in the dark as far as how to check it, we might tell you something way off base depending on how your system is set up. Like guy said it could be a fuse or anyone of several safety switches etc...

Old 11-03-06, 12:02 PM
tecumseh starter

thanks for the reply

sears craftsman mower
model 502 255010
10 hp 5 speed

tecumseh motor

143 416072

has a 15 amp fuse which ohms out ok

when i jump it out am i bypassing the solenoid or can i check it
as well?

Old 11-03-06, 02:00 PM
It depends on how you are jump starting your mower. If you hook the cable up directly to the starter then you are bypassing the solenoid, if you still use the key to start then you are not bypassing the solenoid.

Does it start when you jump it?

You can test the solenoid by taking a jumper wire (does not have to be heavy gauge) touch one end of the wire to the post on the solenoid that the cable from the battery is attached to, then touch the other end of the jumper wire to the little terminal on the side of the solenoid (should have a light gauge wire plugged into it) this will activate the solenoid and should engage the starter motor.

If nothing happens then the solenoid could be bad, it may also have a bad ground. You can bypass the solenoid to test the starter. You can use the cable at the solenoid that is attached to the starter, simply remove it from the solenoid and touch it to the side that is attached to the battery. You will get some arcing when you do this so be careful, the starter should engage when you do this. If it does not then you will need to remove the starter in order to inspect.