generator problem

Old 11-01-06, 03:17 AM
generator problem

I just purchased my first RV - used. The Onan Microlite 4000 generator starts but then stops once the start button is released. Happens whether I use the inside switch or the switch on the unit itself. Any ideas?

Thanks
Dale

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-06, 12:11 PM
I think it is a matter of terminology but it doesn't appear that the engine is starting at all. I think you're merely spinning the engine over with the starter and you're thinking it's running when, actually, it is just being spun by the starter motor. Any idea of the service/operation history of the generator from the previous owner? Did he/she indicate that the generator engine ran OK? If, indeed, it is not starting, you'll have to figure out which of the necessary functions is the trouble, if not more than one: Compression; Ignition; Or fuel system. The first area I'd check is for sufficient ignition at the spark plug wire ends using an in-line tester on each cylinder. Then check to be sure the spark plugs are OK by removing each and inspecting for spark as you spin the engine over. Then, if the previous two are OK, I'd remove the air filter and spray some fuel directly into the throat of the carburetor and see if the engine fires and runs by continuing to squirt gas in the throat. If not, then post back and we'll go from there.

Old 11-02-06, 04:36 AM
generator problem

Well - I think it is actually starting but I guess I am not positive. I hear it spinning and then I hear what I think is combustion. I am going to check everything you suggetsed though and see where that leads.

thanks
Dale