Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Maxx chainsaw grinder/sharpener

11-05-06, 02:20 AM   #1  
Maxx chainsaw grinder/sharpener

I just got a new grinder with two additional angle settings, can any one give some helping info for setup. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-06-06, 01:42 AM   #2  
Sorry, I have no experience with that grinder. Have you tried the "sharpening" forum?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NY

11-06-06, 03:12 AM   #3  
This looks similar to my Oregon grinder, which is acutally made by Tecomec (from Italy). The three angle adjustments you likely have are: Vise Tilt Angle, which generally is only utilized for narrow kerf chains; Cutter Grinding Angle, which is adjusted with the vise and determines the angle you grind the cutters at - generally 30 or 35 degrees; Top Plate Grind Angle, which determines the angle at which you approach the cutting edge of the cutter - generally 60 degrees for most chains; Side Plate Grind Angle, which determines the angle at which you grind the depth gauges - usually I grind these at 85 degrees for low-kick chains and 75 degrees for standard chains. You will then have two grind depth adjustments; Cutter Depth, which is adjusted on the vise and determines the how far back on the cutter you will grind; Gullet Depth, which is adjusted on the grinder motor and determines how deep into the gullet you will grind - not too far as you will grind the tie-straps and weaken the integrity of the chain but not too shallow and then not get a sufficient grind. Of course you will grind all the right-hand cutters first then the left-hand cutters and then set the adjustments to cut the depth gauges with a zero angle on the vise.

Search this Thread