Honda GX270 Powered Generator

Old 11-13-06, 02:21 PM
des
Honda GX270 Powered Generator

The engine starts good but will not run smooth until the choke is closed halfway!
I Have disassembled the carb and cleaned with carb cleaner, air pressure, and small wires in every hole I could find several time, but no help. Fuel flow to carb is good.
I must be missing something when cleaning carb?? any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-06, 03:44 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Intake gasket or o-ring. Possible the carb is bad too. Possibly soaking it in a bath type cleaner. Just be sure not to get any plastic or rubber parts in the cleaner.

Old 11-13-06, 11:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Another place to look for problems is the plastic intake between the carb and engine. I've seen these crack and suck air.

Old 11-14-06, 08:00 AM
des
Originally Posted by Azis
Intake gasket or o-ring. Possible the carb is bad too. Possibly soaking it in a bath type cleaner. Just be sure not to get any plastic or rubber parts in the cleaner.
I checked intake gasket, did not find a o-ring, disassembled and recleaned carb with arosol carb cleaner, I do not have access to a bath type cleaner.
Still have same problem!

Old 11-14-06, 08:04 AM
des
Originally Posted by cheese
Another place to look for problems is the plastic intake between the carb and engine. I've seen these crack and suck air.
Thanks
I checked plastic spacer for cracks, looks ok,wiped a light coat of grease on gaskets and reasembled, still have same problem!

Old 11-14-06, 08:41 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
You can get the carb cleaner at NAPA, its not a special apperatus just very strong cleaner. Use a clean metal can or like resevoir to hold enough cleaner to submerse the carb. Beaware it will destroy any plastic or rubber in a short time.
Unfortunately it sounds to me the problem is indeed still in the carb. Personally I have not had a lot of luck with Honda carbs when they get to this point. OEM replacement can be expensive too. Some of the more used carbs on Honda's have aftermarket types available for considerably less than OEM.

Old 11-14-06, 02:36 PM
des
Smile

Thanks Everyone
I found the problem, the main jet was slightly reduced in size by scale/ varish, I ran a proper size pin gage thru the jet. This fixed my problem.

Old 11-14-06, 10:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad you got it! Thanks for the update!