Snapper series 17 walk behind engine races

Old 11-19-06, 05:51 AM
Snapper series 17 walk behind engine races

I have a Snapper walk behind mower purchased in 2003. It has been sitting this past year, all fuel and oil removed.

After refueling and reoiling the motor it starts right up, it has both a recoil starter and a battery starter.

My problem has to do with the blade control. The blade control lever is required to be pulled against the handle to start and operate the mower. When I do that, the the engine races and as I ease up on the blade control, the engine idle begins to slow as if the blade control were the throttle. The engine races so fast that I can not use the mower. The mower has a Briggs engine andis in very good condition.

Has anyone very experienced this problem or can anyone suggest what to check that might be causing the problem.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-06, 01:45 PM
What is the model number of your Snapper unit and the Model number of the engine on your unit also?

Old 11-19-06, 07:05 PM

The Snapper number is rp2167517bve, the Briggs model Number is 126607.

Old 11-19-06, 07:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Most likey what has happened is during the time the mower sat unused, the throttle shaft in the carburetor has stuck open (it is in the open position when the engine is off). You can probably unstick it by hand without disassembly by rotating it a few time and spraying a bit of carb cleaner or penetrating oil where the shaft goes into the carb. The reason the cable on the handlebar makes it slow down is it has a brake on it, and is slowing the engine by friction.

Old 11-20-06, 06:25 AM
After looking at a breakdown on your unit, I agree with cheese.

You may have to take the air filter element off and spray some carb cleaner down into the throat of the carburetor to get it to free up good.