Unusual condition (Craftsman Rider)

Old 11-29-06, 07:55 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unusual condition (Craftsman Rider)

I've got a Craftsman rider (536.270282) in with a I/C 13.5 Hp B & S engine - M-28R707, T-1120-E1, C-030729ZD. I took the air filter off and started it. After approximately 15 or 20 seconds oil comes "gushing" out of the breather tube which comes up through the base of the air filter. I've never had this to happen before. Anyone have any ideas as to what is happening. I've done this several times with the same result.

Old 11-29-06, 09:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Hello Jack,

I would first suspect that the oil level is too full, and/or thinned with gas from a leaky carburetor. If you don't find the problem there, it could be a bad breather or severe damage in the cylinder.

Old 11-30-06, 03:16 PM
J
That in fact was my problem Cheese. Exactly where does the fuel come from, is it likely that it could be a leaking float needle and seat? Are there other ways too?

Old 11-30-06, 07:33 PM
Hay Jack,I'm in total aggreement with Cheese.
Take the dip stick out and smell of it first.Smell like gas??Then a piece of trash or some thing is holding the inlet needle open,Maybe even the float has a hole in it and fills with gas.If not ether of these check the oil dip stick tube for crecks.Check all gaskets for leaks.The head gasket(s) on those engines are bad about blowing,alowing air to come into the crankcase.

Old 12-01-06, 06:05 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Jack B.
That in fact was my problem Cheese. Exactly where does the fuel come from, is it likely that it could be a leaking float needle and seat? Are there other ways too?
If indeed the crankcase is filling with gas causing the problem then you are correct in suspecting the needle n seat is not doing its job. It could be caused by the float as well. As far as I am aware this is about the only way for this to happen. Its really quite easy to do a quick bench test with the carb removed from the engine. Basically just need to rig up a fuel line to the inlet so you can supply fuel to it. Sometimes I have been able to remove the carb from the engine with the fuel line from the tank still attatched let it sit and see if it leaks fuel. Usually if the carb is opened there is some obvious problem revealed from inspecting. As mentioned it could simply be some debris between the needle and seat. Shake the float and see if it sloshes, has fuel in it, indicating the float has a hole.
If the oil becomes contaminated with fuel, you do not want to run the engine until it is changed. Performing this quick bench test before maint on the carb, can confirm the problem, and doing so after maint can save another oil change.

Old 12-01-06, 11:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Usually I can stop the leaks on those carbs by cleaning up the bowl area and replacing the needle with the carb still mounted to the engine.

Repair_guy, at first I thought "head gasket" too, but this one is a flathead...not overhead valve.

Old 12-02-06, 08:34 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I have a 12.5hp briggs vertucle shaft engine and a 12hp that have this problem sometimes. I take teh bowl off while the carb is still on the engine and take out the float and needle and take a can of carb cleaner with a tube on the end of it and stick it up where the needle seats and hose it out really good. That usualy fixes it for me but you should also look for junk in the bowl and a fuel filter may not be a bad idea. If the engine sits for a long time this seems to happen alot.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: