Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

brigs lawnmower- blade adapter remove

11-24-06, 06:22 PM   #1  
brigs lawnmower- blade adapter remove

hi,
i have a briggs lawnmower engine that i want to remove the blade adapter (the blade was removed) - how can i do this ?
if you can help me with pictures it can help me alot .

thanks,
avi.

Sponsored Links

11-24-06, 09:39 PM   #2  
do you want to re-use the adapter?

11-24-06, 11:45 PM   #3  
Heat the adapter up, melt a little candle wax on it around the crank, let it soak in, and try hitting it to knock it off.....

Don't get it too hot!!, or you will burn the crank seal.

11-25-06, 03:51 AM   #4  
no, i dont need the adapter .

v8driver- it's sounds little difficult to me...
which tool i should use to heat it up ? burner ?

ther is another way to do that ?

thanks,
avi .

TX

11-25-06, 07:12 AM   #5  
I have had really good luck with an air impact hammer, the vibrations knock them loose and they come right off, or sometimes I use a little gear puller.

MO

11-25-06, 08:07 AM   #6  
Told you you would have better response here, no offense, but you do not sound real mechaniclly enclined. I would suggest going to Autozone and borrowing a puller(they normally loan tools) or take the engine with you and do it on their parking lot, I think Advance Auto Parts also loans tools. If you take the engine with you, one of the store employees may want to inpress you with his/her knowledge and take it off for you. Have a nice day. Geo

11-25-06, 09:39 PM   #7  
thanks everyone,
if i do this the engine shuold start without blade ?
someone was try that ?

thanks,
avi .

11-25-06, 09:52 PM   #8  
Blow torch would work fine.... its just to melt the wax down the shaft.... and expand the adapter....
If you were careful (and I DO NOT) recommend it..... cut the adapter off..... but if your not careful, you will need a new crank.

Yes you can run it without the blade......

AL

11-25-06, 11:12 PM   #9  
To get a blade adapter off I always put a block of steel under the crankshaft just above the adapter and (((shock))) it off hitting it with a hammer.So use eye protection.Once in a great while they may brake before coming off.But there only$3-$4.00
Ea.

A lawnmower engine will not srank without the blade unless it has a cast iron flywheel.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-25-06, 11:53 PM   #10  
repair_guy is right, it needs the blade to run unless you fit it with a cast iron flywheel. The blade is a flywheight that the engine is designed to allow for. Without it, it will be hard if not impossible to start, and it can hurt you trying to start it.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

11-26-06, 03:08 AM   #11  
how much the cast iron should weight and the original ? maby i have one...

thank you guys,it help me a lot.

avi.

11-27-06, 12:04 AM   #12  
Posted By: cheese repair_guy is right, it needs the blade to run unless you fit it with a cast iron flywheel. The blade is a flywheight that the engine is designed to allow for. Without it, it will be hard if not impossible to start, and it can hurt you trying to start it.
Then its weird that I've always gotten them to start without blades.....
Just last week, I started my 6hp quantum pushmower without a blade(which I know has a aluminum flywheel) that had been sitting for maybe.... 3 months, second pull it started....
Have had others with aluminum flywheels start very easy... and just as much vibration from them without blades, as they were with...
But I never ran them for maybe no more then 5 minutes at the most....

But trance.... they are not actually telling you to put a cast iron flywheel on.... unless maybe your gonna run it for hours on end without a blade?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-27-06, 09:06 PM   #13  
V8, A guy that gives an engine a good pull can usually start them without a blade, but if you pull it slowly, it can kick back. HARD. I've seen knuckles turned purple on a hand on someone who tried to start theirs without the blade. If you pull it hard, it will get the momentum up fast enough to overcome that kickback. Then, there's the possibility or likelyhood of it kicking back while it's running, shearing the flywheel key at the least.

I had an old briggs 3.5 classic years ago that I had running with no blade. It had the cranking ratchet on it with the balls in it. Suddenly, the engine had a tiny misfire, but enough to disrupt the momentum and it kicked back. When it kicked back, the cranking ratchet caught somehow, and it pulled the pull rope in so hard that it popped the handle for the pull rope off. It shot at me like it came out of a shotgun. Made a big swollen mark on my leg that nearly brought me to tears. Since then, I don't ry to run them at all without a blade.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

11-28-06, 07:58 AM   #14  
Azis
I concur with cheese and can admit to my own experience which changed my normal practice.

Customer brought a mower in complaining of it vibrating and knocking. I went to slowly pull the engine through to try and quickly point to or eliminate internal damage. On about the second compresion stroke it nearly ripped off my arm and the pull handle being pulled through my fingers rendered my hand nearly useless the entire day. After gathering myself abit, I went to tip the mower to have a peak under the deck as the customer begins telling me he has the blade in his car...

11-30-06, 09:35 PM   #15  
ahhh yes.... guess its two things that the engines I have done it to, that were different... they didn't have the starter clutch.... (the ratchet starter type deal) nor the side rewind starter.... and I was pulling on them pretty fast....
I never try running one that has a starter clutch, without a blade, as I know what can happen real well....
I have seen one eat the cord... on one with a starter clutch..., old old 3hp briggs.... its not something to be around and it did indeed hurt pretty good when the handle went flying....
And still have a old 4hp max series briggs with a clutch that will still sometimes hang up and knock the cord out of your hands...

AL

12-01-06, 01:57 PM   #16  
trance_master....How's it coming??Have you got that blade adapter off yet???????????????

Search this Thread