Arien snowblower wont start

Old 12-01-06, 04:24 PM
Arien snowblower wont start

I have a Ariens ST7524E with Tecemsuh OH195SP. Purchased it last year, used it twice last year, and in the spring left it running until it ran out of gas.

Today it will not start.... i had Fresh fuel, Key in, Full Choke, Throttle -FAST, Primed 3x, Fuel Shutoff- Open....Manual start had no results... Electric start sounded promising just never turned over.

I called Ariens they recommended holding in little spring on bowl to see if foul smelling fuel came out.... nothing came out.

When I prime, I mostly hear air only.... dont hear any fuel sloshing around.

Any ideas for a non small engine guy before I bring it in for repair?

Thanks

Last edited by shirtlessdriver; 12-01-06 at 04:33 PM. Reason: added Fuel Shutoff- Open.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-06, 05:55 PM
I would take a shop towel or clean rag and hold it over the opening to the carburetor throat, and crank it over with the electric starter and see if it won't kick off. Doing this is like a manual choke, you may have a small obstruction of old fuel preventing it from starting. Doing this will draw fresh fuel up through the jet and nozzle, you may have to do this a few times to keep it running, but once it clears out it should continue to run on its own. If it does not, then you probably will need to take the carburetor float bowl off and clean out the jet and nozzle or the carburetor may need to be cleaned and rebuilt.

Old 12-06-06, 03:27 AM
The fact that you had no fuel flow out of the bowl drain (the spring thing you depressed) would indicate that you have no fuel in the bowl of the carburetor and then need to be sure that you have fuel in the tank and that the shut-off valve is indeed turned on. If so and you still have no fuel from the bowl drain then you will need to remove the fuel line at the carburetor and check for fuel flow from the line. If not, you'll need to remove the fuel cap on the tank and gently blow compressed air back through the fuel line and into the tank, in order to dislodge any obstruction. Use caution here due to fuel spray coming out the fuel filler neck of the tank while doing this. I'd use an assistant with a shop towel to cover the opening of the tank to prevent unwanted spray. And, once anything that is lodged becomes dislodged, you will then have fuel flow from the fuel line and this, too, will create a mess which you need to consider. Good luck and let us know.

Old 12-13-06, 06:15 AM
Any update shirtless?

Old 12-15-06, 03:21 AM
I got my Ariens snowblower running last weekend. Of course it had a gummed up carb. I had to take the bowl off, remove the jets and soak them in carb cleaner to get it going. Another thing that was a problem, however was that the float was sticking and not letting fuel into the carb. Not the needle - somehow the float itself was stuck.

Also, on that engine, there's a fuel shutoff screw under the gas tank. Is it possible you shut that off and forgot to open it again?

Old 03-11-07, 04:14 PM
Neighbor recommended small engine guy who comes to your house and will repair on-site. He cleaned carb and runs the a dream now.

Thanks