Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Toro 521

12-01-06, 09:13 PM   #1  
Toro 521

Hello, let me just start out by saying that any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I have this Toro 521 that was given to me. It would start and then die, I was told that the carb needed to be rebuilt, so I had it rebuilt and everything seemed fine. That was until the snow fell. It runs fine and then as soon as it hits the snow it falls flat on its face, almost dies and if I pull it back, slowly starts pushing snow out, but very weakly. I also replaced the belts, it is two stage. The serial is HS50-67259G SER 7329B.

Should I put anymore time or money into this thing, are the symptoms that I am describing indicative of engine failure or is it perhaps something that can be fixed relatively easily. Thank you for your help!

Tom

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-01-06, 11:27 PM   #2  
It sounds like you still have carburetor problems, or possibly governor problems (if the governor has been tampered with). I would start by backing out the adjustment screw under the bowl about 1/4 to 1/2 turn (if it has this adjustment screw...newer models don't).

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

12-02-06, 05:29 AM   #3  
Alright, well, let me tell you what I did, maybe I should not have. When it started, in order to make it run, the choke had to be on fully, so I turned both of the adjustment screws all the way in and then opened the choke and backed them out until the snowblower ran perfectly. Should I back them back out, I have the exact problem now anyway?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-02-06, 08:54 PM   #4  
The low speed mixture screw (on the side of the carb) should be turned 1 1/2 turns out from lightly seated. The high speed (on bottom of carb) should be around the same to start with. Then, at full throttle, back it out until the engine starts to stumble and run rough. Then, turn it back in until it runs good, and keep on until it begins to stall again...counting the turns the whole time. Then divide the number of turns by 2 and turn it back out that many times. This should have you dead on, or within 1/4 turn of being perfect.

God bless!

12-03-06, 08:27 PM   #5  
I will give that a try, but do you have any idea why it bogs down so much when under load? Anything that I can troubleshoot?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-04-06, 11:07 PM   #6  
That's why I suggested adjusting the high speed mixture screw. It may be the reason for the bogging.

God bless!

02-12-07, 09:33 AM   #7  
Alright, I tried what was suggested, but I was still not able to run the snowblower with the choke off, only about 1/2 way. Anyway, I took it once down the driveway and it was great! I tried to turn around and it died. After starting it back up, it will not run consistently with the choke on or off. WHat bothers me the most is that it will not run at all with the choke off completely. Any idea?! Please?!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

02-12-07, 03:48 PM   #8  
The carburetor needs to be removed and cleaned in a bath type carb cleaner.

God bless!

02-12-07, 04:44 PM   #9  
Alright, so just pop it off and take it apart and let it soak?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

02-13-07, 12:03 AM   #10  
Pretty much. Remove it, remove the float, needle, and seat, remove the adjustment needle screws, and soak it. Then rinse it, blow it out, and replace the needle and seat with new ones and put it back together.

God bless!

Search this Thread