GXV340 Governor Questions (Long post - sorry)

Old 12-03-06, 06:34 AM
GXV340 Governor Questions (Long post - sorry)

I have a honda harmony 1011 with the GXV340 engine I bought used - supposedly seized. Found a broken rocker arm. Replaced it and the engine ran fine but smoked like a *****. After much pondering and advice from the good folks in this forum I decided to replace the rings. Did this yesterday, tore it down, inspected the crank, connecting rod journal, cylinder etc. Found a lot of cooked oil on the piston head and valves etc. Cleaned them, cleaned everything, honed the cylinder and replaced the rings. During tear down found that the governor slider and thrust washer were sitting inside the case - most likely result of my splitting the case. At that point I had no idea what they were :-) Anyway, put it all back together and the engine runs fine, no smoke what so ever. However it races full throttle no matter the throttle setting. My questions are, 1) does the carb to governor arm linkage go in the top hole or the second hole on the governor arm? 2) When I installed the slider and thrust washer I installed them under the lip on the three governor arms figuring this is what holds it in place while putting the case back together. Should I have just slid them on the shaft and let them rest on the arms? If this is the case - which I suspect - how do I hold it in place while installing the top case?

Thanks much
Ed

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-06, 07:31 AM
I guess I should have said PM me with your email address...

It's on its way to your hotmail address....

Last edited by 30yearTech; 12-03-06 at 09:34 AM.
Old 12-03-06, 08:32 AM
Thanks so much!

***Moderator's note: Email address removed for your protection and so your email address will not be filled with spam***

Last edited by DIYaddict; 12-03-06 at 08:50 AM. Reason: see note in post
Old 12-03-06, 08:58 AM
Let's try this one :-)

[email protected]

Mr Moderator,
Thank you for being concerned about my email account. The above email address is all SPAM anyway and I only use it for situations such as this. Please allow this email address to be posted for the person who replied to my message.

Thanks
Ed

Old 12-03-06, 12:13 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
I'm in Training :)

Hope you will share this experience

Old 12-04-06, 11:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Not sure what happened here...DIYaddict edited the posts (doing her job as required by DIY rules), but I am in the dark. If you don't mind, could you folks enlighten the rest of us onlookers as to what procedures you are taking to repair it? ...so that others with similar problems may learn.

Old 12-05-06, 05:26 AM
ejVette accepted my offer of a service manual for his engine and I emailed him one. I have not heard anything other than thanks for the manual, so I am not sure if the problem has been discovered or corrected.

Last edited by 30yearTech; 12-05-06 at 06:30 AM.
Old 12-05-06, 08:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
oh...nice gesture! Hopefully Ed will find the problem and post the cure. Sounds kind of like the governor may not be assembled correctly. I believe the thrust washer sits under the gear instead of between the hat and gear...but it may have a thrust washer in both locations. The manual should aid in that.