Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Can Anybody Explain This? (Poulan Pro Blower)

SC

12-05-06, 05:31 PM   #1  
Can Anybody Explain This? (Poulan Pro Blower)

My Poulan Pro blower (model BVM200) wouldn't crank today. It's always started before on about the fifth pull.

After verifying the plug was firing, that it was getting fuel, the gas tank cap was ventilating, the air filter was clean, and the compression was adequate (about 40psi on first pull and about 100 on second pull) I had run out of options. So, I went online and learned that it could be a problem with the exhaust. I removed the muffler and tried cranking it. It cranked right up!

Next I used my compressor to blow air through the muffler to see if air was able to go in the exhaust hole and out the 1/4" small hole in it. It seemed to me that the air flowed though it fine; and no debris came out of it. So, I put it back on it. But, it wouldn't crank. But when I loosened the two bolts holding the muffler it cranked. I then tightened the two bolts until the motor shut off. By trial and error I was able to determine that when the bolt that didn't have a washer (left off from an earlier repair a year or so ago) was tightened, the motor would shut off. So, I put a washer on the bolt and tried again. This time I was able to tighten it, and the motor kept running. It now cranks and runs fine.

Do what? This is one of the strangest problems I've run into. If anyone understands how this resolved the problem I'd sure like to hear it.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-05-06, 08:06 PM   #2  
If the bolt lost it's washer on a previous repair, then apparently it has been running like that for some time until just now, when it decided not to start. Apparently something else changed.

Out of curiosity, and wanting to be able to give you an answer, I went and opened up a muffler from a blower like yours just to see if there was a baffle or plate that could be flexing under pressure from the bolt and restricting the flow of exhaust. As I suspected, there is nothing there like that. I almost wonder if the washer was coincidence with the occurrence of something else...like maybe a pinched kill wire under the muffler maybe? Otherwise, it doesn't seem possible that the washer could be directly responsible for the engine running or not running.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

SC

12-06-06, 02:43 AM   #3  
Cheese: Thanks for the reply. I agree with you that it doesn't seem possible that a missing washer on a muffler bolt would keep the blower from starting.

Hopefully this won't muddy the water any more, but this muffler has a heat absorbing gasket and a metal shield between it and the engine block. The parts diagram for the unit shows the metal shied next to the block, and the gasket next to the muffler. But, I couldn't get the unit to start until I reversed this order and put the gasket next to the motor.

I'm going to mess around with it some more today because I'm intrigued by this problem. Maybe I'll be able to figure out what the real problem was/is.

Search this Thread