Engine wasnt run for a few years.

Old 12-07-06, 08:54 PM
Question Engine wasnt run for a few years.

I have 2 mowers, one it a 4hp techumseh and the other is a white with a 12hp briggs. Both havent been run it a few years. I dont know how many years they have been sitting but I would guess 4 or 5. I was wondering if there is something I should do before I try to start them?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-06, 09:27 PM
yes.... check the wiring, change the oil, plug and air filter...
The riding mower... new battery
Go ahead and replace the fuel lines and if gas was left in em.... gonna have to rebuild those carbs...

Before you crank em... wouldn't hurt to put a little oil down the cylinders first.

Old 12-08-06, 05:32 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Getting equipment ready for spring & Winter Storage Tips
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=163058

Sticky post by cheese that will have a lot of info which will apply.

Old 12-08-06, 06:21 AM
I'd pull off the sheet metal shrouds around the motor and check and remove any mouse nests, then replace the sheet metal. Mice love living inside this tight areas, and their nesting material will prevent proper air flow around the motor causing it to run hot.

Old 12-08-06, 07:34 PM
On the white there is gas in the oil and when I pored gas in the tank it ran out the breather into the crank case. I had a 12.5hp that had this problem and you guys helped me out with that so I know how to fix this problem now. I never got around to the 4hp murray yet. I got the carb off the white now though and will probably get a new plug for it and do the oil in the cylinder thing. I would like to find a snow plow for it so if we get dumped on I can drag it over to my grandmas house and save time and my back.

Thanks alot guys for the help you got me out of some tight spots in the past, I really appreciate it.

Old 12-10-06, 12:31 AM
Bad float full of gas.... or float is stuck in the down position.... or inlet needle and or seat is in need of replacement...
Usually if it set for years.... the carb is gummed up every which way it can be...., this will certainly stick the float (carb needs to be cleaned good) and or a seal popped on the float..... letting gas in. Any way you look at it...... carb needs a overhaul if its even overhaul-able.... (no pitting from water intrusion/rust)

Old 12-10-06, 08:54 AM
I got teh carb off and soaked it in diesel fuel and got all the greese off of it and its in really good shape. I have a 12.5hp that had water in the carb for a while and when I took it apart I kne why it wouldnt start. I never seen such a mess, the whole float bowl was just a bucket of rust but from the outside it looked like a new carb.