Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Adjusting carb on 12hp briggs

MI

12-10-06, 07:22 PM   #1  
Adjusting carb on 12hp briggs

This should be my last post for a while since I got the beast running today. I almost came in today to ask a few more question but I figured them all out.

I had to take the carb off the engine and take it all apart so I think it needs to be adjusted. On the bottom of the float bowl there is a adjustment screw and I think this may have gotten moved when I took it apart. The engine runs good but I have to keep the choke pulled out or it wont run. It acts like it isnt getting enough fuel. Also when I run it at full throttle it isnt running as fast as it should and I still have to have the choke pulled on it. Ive never seen a carb with a adjustment under the bowl before. I read the 2yr old thread a few spaces under this one that someone dug up and it seems to be the same problem. Is the problem that it isnt getting enough fuel and is it this adjustment under the bowl or could it be something else?

Sponsored Links

12-10-06, 09:28 PM   #2  
Standard 1.5 turns out from all the way in as a baseline....., this engine must be a few years old.... older engines had the high speed adjustment needle (the one up in the float bowl nut)
Fine tune when warm... should throttle up (when doing it fast) and barely hesitate....
keep in mind, you can't see the tiny passages... and if the carb was good and gummed up, may take another carb cleaning or 3 to get it good. Carb cleaner (a dip type) would work better than diesel.

MI

12-11-06, 01:25 PM   #3  
I used cyclo carb cleaner to clean all the insides of the carb and with this same can I got 4 or 5 engins running with it so I know its good stuff. I just used the diesel fuel to clean the greese off the outside.

MI

12-11-06, 07:13 PM   #4  
Well I played around with the monster a few hours ago and got it running like a top. I kept backing out the adjustment screw under the bowl until it startted to run bad then I woul push the choke in a little until it ran good the loosened teh screw some more and kept doing this until it ran with the choke off. But then when I tried to giv it more throttle it would quit so I played around with the adjustment screw on the top of the carb and it straightened right out and runs great. Thanks for all the help, I will probably need some more once I get around to the mower deck. This thing dont sound good when you engage the blades.

Search this Thread