seemingly stupid tool question

Old 12-20-06, 11:51 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
seemingly stupid tool question

Let me preface my question with a disclaimer. After moving I have a limited amount of tools and am slowly rebuilding stock. Before moving out of state, I lived close to dad and he had all the tools. Now I am not driving 7 hours to borrow a socket :-)
With that being said, what is the socket size for the flywheel nut on most small Briggs and Tecumseh engines?
With my luck I would go buy a set of larger sockets and end up without the size I need and a set I can't use.

Old 12-20-06, 05:09 PM
If you got a Briggs push mower with a recoil rope on it a 7/8 socket fits the starter clutch removel tool.

If you got a Briggs or Tecumseh with just a starter cup a 15/16 fits.

Some of the real old Tecumseh engines had a 11/16 nut holding the starter cup.

But if you're talking rideing mower the size is 1-1/8
and you'll also need a 1/2 " socket and a 20 or 25 torx head to take the rotating screen off. before taking the blower housing off

Hope that helps

Old 12-20-06, 07:38 PM
Thanks

Your signature says it all repair_guy

Those sizes sound right based on memory but I haven't needed one in a while. Like I said, when you had a drawer full of sockets that wasn't an issue but when you have nothing larger than a 3/4 in the box it is an issue and you don't want to guess buying a socket at a time. Thanks for the info as I am trying to get back into the hobby.
Everyone quit laughing and put yourself in my shoes with no tools after doing this stuff time after time. Knowledge/equipment without tools is like a cigarette without a lighter....that is my thought of the day.

Old 12-20-06, 08:47 PM
Glad I could help.any time.Just ring.

I'm sure that everyone has been cought like that at one time or another,I know I have.

Old 12-25-06, 01:17 PM
Thumbs up

We all know what it`s like not have the proper tools need for the job. We`ve all gone through this one time or another. I guess you could call it a "learning tool".

Old 12-28-06, 06:55 AM
I wouldn't dream of laughing or making fun of your situation, because most of us have been there. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I've been driving 15 plus year old cars for the past few years that sometimes need repairing on the road and sorta solved the problem by buying an inexpensive tool "KIT" with a range of wrenches and sockets including metric. My budget wouldn't quite stretch to some of the nicer tool sets from Craftsman, and I didn't go to the $9.99 bin at the local auto parts discount center, but for around $40, K-Mart used to offer a generic set with a decent assortment of sizes in sockets and I carry it in what ever vehicle I'm driving. A similar kit available at several different stores may get you thru the majority of stuff with minimal outlay of cash and you can add the "missing" sizes you need as you go.

Old 12-28-06, 11:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
I've gone to pawn shops and rooted through the socket and wrench buckets, pulling out the most common sizes I need. Usually I can pick out the better quality tools and get a handful for a couple bucks.

Old 12-29-06, 06:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you have any sons, you know what not having/finding the right tool is like..

Old 12-31-06, 07:23 PM
Smile

Learning tool......that is a good one. I didn't think of the pawn shop, good idea. I'm also familiar with driving old cars/trucks and I carry a small toolkit in my vehicle. It has served everything from pulling an intake manifold from my truck to all my odds and ends fixings but I don't have a thing to remove the nut from mower flywheels. Thanks all for the suggestions!!
P.S. I do have a child but he is 2 3/4, not quite old enough to loose tools yet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: