2 cycle engine wiring

Old 12-21-06, 01:09 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile 2 cycle engine wiring

i have a 2 cycle motor im putting on a motor bike frame. it has a starter motor on it. does anyone know the basic way to wire this engine up to run and turn off, also the charger as it will have a battery, with NO accssories runnin(lights,horn, etc.) i just want it to be a basic turn on and off motor with electric start. does this require a regulator or anything. pic would be great or it someone can draw a rough diagram of what goes where. thanks.

Old 12-21-06, 06:45 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by sparkster
i have a 2 cycle motor ... it has a starter motor on it. ... this engine ... also the charger as it will have a battery,
Engine Info is needed...???

Old 12-21-06, 10:15 AM
S
it is a 49 cc 2 cycle engine on a pocket bike. i figured the engine wiring would be the same as any other with no accessories. would pics help?

Old 12-21-06, 12:34 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I'm not sure why you would want the extra weight and inconvenience of an electric starter system on a piece of equipment with such a small chassis and engine but what you need is a three-position key switch (with "off", "on" (run) and "start" (momentary, that is)) positions, an inline fuse, a starter solenoid, a 12-volt DC battery (most likely a dry-cell), some 6-gauge wire (battery to ground; battery to solenoid; and solenoid to starter), some 16-gauge wire (key switch to solenoid) and some ingneuity to place all these items on a small frame. I'd just pull start the darn thing.

Old 12-21-06, 08:49 PM
S
ok... ill be on the project this weekend..ill let you know how it goes. thanks

Old 12-21-06, 09:24 PM
S
there are 2 wires on the engine coming from the igniton coil. one looks like a a ground. so i know one of these wires goes to the ignition "run" but which one and where does the other go?. thanks

Old 12-22-06, 02:56 AM
I'd be surprised if this engine has an alternator (generator) but the second wire may be just this. Do you know if this engine has an alternator? This would be rather important to know since you need to know which wire goes where. The ground (kill circuit) wire (of the two) will go to the key switch and the alternator wire (if indeed so) will go to the battery (for charging purposes-bonus!). If you have no alternator then I'll guess that the second wire is merely a second ground (kill) wire. What color are the two wires? Furthermore, you will want to trace each one to be certain what each is for. Post back with your findings.

Old 12-22-06, 09:04 AM
S
i believe it does have an alternator because it came with headlights originally. as of the wire colors. there is a black wire grounded to the ignition coil bolt. there is a black wire with white stripe coming out of the coil.does anyone need pics?

Old 12-26-06, 01:04 PM
The wire coming out from the coil is definitely the kill circuit, where does it go to? A kill button/switch, most likely? The other wire (under the coil mount screw) is a ground wire of some fashion, where does the other end of this wire go to? Are these the only wires you see and, if so, how far have you torn the engine down to know? Pics would be helpful most likely.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: