Maximum Battery Size?

Old 12-20-06, 09:55 AM
Maximum Battery Size?

I recently bought a house that has a 10kW Voltmaster Long Run generator, powered by a 16 hp Briggs and Stratton Vanguard motor with electric start. It needs a new battery and the one I just took out was rated at 230 ccA. I don't know what it's amp-hour rating was. The manual says that the cables will accommodate a 50 amp-hour battery. It also implies that a 20 amp-hour battery is 180 ccA.

My question is that based on if the two characteristics are directly proportional, I should be able to accommodate a battery with 450 ccA. Is my logic accurate and will the charging system keep a battery that size properly charged? I want to install a 400 ccA car battery. It gets mighty cold up here.

Thanks for any direction you can offer.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-06, 01:54 PM
I imagine that your standby unit came with an online trickle charger. If it did and it is rated two amps or more, it will certainly keep the battery fully charged. If it did not have one, I would add one. They are not very expensive for the insurance that they provide. If I were you and the battery would physically fit, I would put a small sized car battery in. You can always make up the elec cable connections. That way you would have plenty of cca if the weather was real cold and the engine were a little stubborn to start. Is your engine equipped with a crankcase heater?. That too would make things better. Depending on the power unit that you have, some have an automatic and timed relay to start the engine , run a few min and shutdown and are programable.. I would suggest that if yours does'nt that you purchase a fuel stabilizer and mix into your fuel per the instructions on the container. Hope this helps, Tom

Old 12-21-06, 08:04 AM
The information you have provided is a great help. The engine charges the battery with an integral alternator. It does not have a warmer, nor does it start automatically when there is an outage, or under any other circumstances either. It started pretty easily with the pull-starter but according to Murphy's Law, the power will go out when I'm not home, at night, during a blizzard and I want the little lady of the house to not have any problems getting this thing started. Am already using stabilizer.

Thanks much,
Gary

Old 12-26-06, 01:19 PM
I suggest using 6 or 4-gauge cables (4 being best) with a heavier battery and be sure you have a solenoid suited for heavier cables which will have either 5/16" or 3/8" cable terminals, indicitive of a heavy duty solenoid. A battery in the neighborhood of 400CCA should suffice. It is not necessary to buy a "car" battery as most larger outdoor power equipment uses these batteries anyhow such as a 22NF series battery.

Old 12-28-06, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the tip. You're right on. I ultimately was able to track down the outfit that actually manufactures the unit and spoke w/someone who advised similarly with regard to a battery. Nothing else needed to be changed.

I was able to get a battery with a little over 400 cca that was the same configuration as the old battery. Starts like a champ!

Old 12-29-06, 07:21 AM
Good news and thanks for the update.